th 350 clunks

Whenever my th350 shifts it clunks and jerks, . Doesnt always do it though. Sometimes it shifts as nice and smooth as you could ask for. It always
shifts through the gears OK if I have just backed up. The next time it just clunks through them again. Seems like I heard somewhere a sticky governor can cause this. Any ideas??
I had a trans mount go out in my 86 Iroc Z, and my 87 formula 350......that sounds very similar to what I was experiencing.