Thanks GM

I got my gift from GM this morning. Started seeing drops of oil on the driveway.
Dealer confirms; My BUICK 3.1 engine has a failed manifold gasket.
Fortunately, the oil looks OK. They'll fix it for around a $thou$
Actually, worth it. I couldn't find a replacement car that I liked as much as the BUICK Century. ( and to think that GM had years to deal with the problem )
is that a four banger or a v6 motor?
<RJ> wrote:

--
A website is a place, where, when you go there, it does everything
possible to distract you, from finding the information you came there

Parts should have cost you around $40. Even at dealer prices.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I bought the gaskets at the local Chevy dealer for $40-some bucks. Did several cars and never paid the prices you were quoted for parts. I did however, forget about adding the cost of the bolts in though. I sure didn't pay $10 each for them. What part of the country are you in?

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/5-closed-settlements/14-gm-dexcool-engine-coolant
Weren't the SC'd 3800s spared this embarrassment?

This is wrong. The 3.8 does not use the same intake system as the 3.1 and 3.4 do. It does not suffer the gasket problem. The 3.8 has a problem of its own with the plastic plenum, but that is a distinctly different problem.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I meant that the lawsuit in general applies to the 3.8L engines. Read up on the website for yourself. The 3.8L engines from 1995 to 2004 are covered under the Engine Group B Vehicles. FYI, if you had read section 1.22 (bottom of page 7), then you would see that I am stating my facts correctly. Show me where it says otherwise and I'll gladly admit I was wrong.
Sharky

I don't know what you meant to say, but what you said was...
You'll have to read up for yourself because I think on the canadian site,

As stated, you are clearly wrong, and all I did was point that out.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
The problem with the series II 3800 was different technically, but was similar in GM's attempt to avoid the situation and reluctance to pay for anything.
To have the plenum issue addressed at a dealership was usually in the range of US$7-800, or more if complications were involved.
The parts, at NAPA, were a little over US$200 just a few years ago.
And as in a previous post, I chose not to waste time trying to get GM to ante up $50 (as they knew many of us would). It is not worth the time, paperword, red tape, and hassel to spend hours on a loser company for $50 lousy bucks.

I have an Uplander Van, I bought it new. And it just leak within within 1000KM.

I have an Uplander Van, I bought it new. And it just leak within within 1000KM. ============================================= That would be why you have a warranty. Take it back to the dealer.