The best way to buy an ECU ?

I need to replace my current after-market ECU on the 1987 Oldsmobile V6 3.8 car. I checked with the mechanic, and it looks like the new one costs about $600.
If anyone had successfully replaced it in the past, where did you get yours?
Is it also possible to buy an ECU for a different car and switch the programmable chip in them, had anyone done that?
"nobody48" wrote: > I need to replace my current after-market ECU on the 1987 > Oldsmobile V6 3.8 > car. > I checked with the mechanic, and it looks like the new one > costs about $600. > If anyone had successfully replaced it in the past, where did > you get yours? > > Is it also possible to buy an ECU for a different car and > switch the > programmable chip in them, had anyone done that?
$600 is mighty steep. Is new actually new? The GM dealers in my area have had nothing but remanufactured units for these cars for quite a few years. You can buy remanufactured ECMs from quite a few different sources but I always buy them from the dealer due to reliability issues. However the dealer may not accept an aftermarket reman ECM as a core, you may have to pay the core cost if you purchase from the dealer.
As far as getting an ECM from a different car, if the ECM service numbers are the same it is the same computer, you will just need to transfer the PROM.

Having had to deal with electronic warranty issues & suppliers I would (in this case) go to a wrecker. Usually their parts come with either a 30, 60 or 90 day warranty & the price is a lot more in keeping with the relative value of the car at this point.
It's an electronic device. It'll either work or it won't.
Good Luck

What about the PROM? If I get it from the wreck it'll probably have an awfully old one. Is there any way to get an upgraded version?

If you are able to find the correct ECM for you vehicle in a 'recycle' yard, you need to use the PROM from your vehicles' faulty ECM.
Dave S(Texas)
JC Whitney might have one. Or other suppliers on-line.
wrote in message

Found in the wreckyard for $30 and an undeniable pleasure to wreck it out myself. Also upgraded my PROM from another car.
wrote in message

Found in the wreckyard for $30 and an undeniable pleasure to wreck it out myself. Also upgraded my PROM from another car.
wrote in message

Junk yard for sure . Last one I replaced was just unplug old and plug in new , literally. Iwas lookin at close to a grand new, got one one for $ 200 at the yard . Good luck