The Chevy Volt dance

Page 1 of 2
(Car Lust) - Submitted for your consideration, this video taken at the L.A. Auto Show of a promotional song and dance routine for the upcoming Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid. Words fail me:
http://xrl.us/VoltDance
Dur wrote:

Who comes up wiht this stuff? Do they actually get paid?
On 12/01/2010 3:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I almost thought I heard "..get up to 40 miles then you have to push it..."
LMAO.
No so, if you do a search you will discover the system is designed to have the engine come on to run the generator, when the battery reserve approaches its low limit. At that point the Volt can still be driven for an addition 80 miles.
As one would expect our friend Canuck57 is wrong once again.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Is that 80 miles and you have to buy gas or is it 80 miles and you have to stop for a while? Makes a difference on a 250 mile trip.
You clipped it, but my comment was to the uninformed "push it" remark, after 40 miles. If you intend to run 250 miles at one time you will need to pug it in.
That does not necessarily mean that will be a problem, generally. You can do so while eating for example.
On the up side if you have a 15 to 20 mile commute to work, you can easily drive the 150/175 miles a week, and never by ANY gas. In most parts of the country 1,000 watts costs only around seven to nine cents

That should be 1000 watt-hours cost around seven to nine cents. A watt is a unit of power, a watt-hour is a unit of energy.
1000wh (1Kwh) here cost 11.2 cents for the first step and 10.5 cents for the second the last time I checked. It may have changed since then.
Mike Hunter wrote:

Here in the CT/MA areas that would cost about 20 as we have the highest rates in the country. Gas is $2.86 though.
The Volt will have a place in the market, but not for me. I drive too many miles for it to be practical. My wife drives too few to justify the cost. I can't justify the cost of even giving her my hand-me-down for that matter.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:24:30 -0500, Mike Hunter wrote:

Yea, everybody stops every 40 minutes for several hours to eat. No wonder we are an obese nation!
On 14/01/2010 9:40 PM, Michael Dobony wrote:

Maybe the Volt should come with a tube to shove up your arse for the gas.
Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling LOL

Actually it is 40 MILES, not forty MINUTES. The point is the average driver in the US drives much less that 40 miles a day on average, so overnight charging should not be a problem for the average driver, any more than how he charges his cell phone.
There thousands of types of mobile equipment, like fork lifts, that are used every day in this county that are recharged every night without any problems and they generally do not us the modern type of batteries that are used in the Volt.
However a driver that drives more than 120 miles a day may not want to buy a true electric vehicle because its limitations.

Ok, so a brand new 100% functional battery goes up to (but not more than) 40 miles before being on gasoline. Then 80 miles after that.
So a maximum of 120 miles for normal peek operation. You find you need to charge to get the next 30 miles to make it 150 miles.
Or that the battery has aged a year or two such the way every lithium or lead-acid battery does. And only gets 1/2 the distance, say 60 miles.
What happens at the end of the mileage, max speed of what? 30 mph? Or do you get out and push? Come clean, wait 8 hours for the damn thing to charge?
And that is without heat, A/C and hills I am sure.
Sorry, for $40,000 it is an over priced golf cart. At best, an upscale golf cart with turning lights. Only legal because Obama law now rules. They even sound unsafe to drive ont he highway for any distance unless traffic is backed up to a crawl.
And that is optimistic as the motors need more juice to go full speed ahoy than the generator can provide.
$40,000.... you are freaking mad as a hatter.
On 13/01/2010 9:13 AM, Mike Hunter wrote:

Living in Southern Arizona, I could probably do most of my local driving in a golf cart.... if they'd let them on the streets.
You'd probably be $$$ ahead by owning a 40 mile electric for local use. ( of course, not GM-VOLT prices )
Then renting a car for those occasional long trips.
Can we assume you never priced a golf cart? Current electric cars that compare to the Volt in size cost around $1000,000 The smaller less desirable, out dated technology. hybrid Toyota Camry costs around $35,000 to drive home. LOL

On 14/01/2010 11:40 AM, <RJ> wrote:

A company called Zenn sells pure electric... much more cheaper than a Volt. They even look similar to a Volt without the shocking price.
http://www.zenncars.com /
There is also Tata Nano, just passed the European crash test first pass. Only a mater of time befor they sell in North America.
These companies take green seriously, both are truly economicial and without the costs of Governemnt Motors. I am sure that Detroit will do their best t impede the competition with government moneys we supply. But screw GM, they steal from m family by stealing via the tax system.
golf cart...Golf Cart....GOLF CART !!
Doers anyone read these postings before they engage the keyboard ??

You didn't.