The Geo Metro rides again

"Drivers desperate for high gas mileage are snapping up the poky, discontinued Geo Metro because it offers around 44 mpg..."
Business Week article: http://easyurl.net/GeoMetro

Not at all surprised to hear this.
Could they build it again? Probably not, 'cuz it'd need crush zones and safety gadgets that would make it weigh 50% more than it did just a few years ago. Safety extremists, environmental extremists, and NIMBYs will ruin this country if they are not defeated.
Dave Head wrote:

Amen. I had an '89 Metro 5 speed, with A/C no less, and loved it-40MPG in town (small town). Well spaced gear ratios but it was as much of a thrill to drive on the highway as my old '70 VW Beetle
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Huh? The newest Suzukis sold in the U.S. don't have crush zones and safety gadgets that the Suzuki Swift did not. For those who don't know, the Suzuki Swift was given a 3-cylinder one-liter engine and a Geo badge and sold at North American GM dealers as a "Geo Metro". There is nothing stopping Suzuki from selling the Swift in North America today, if they wanted to. They sell similar (in terms of fuel efficiency) vehicles in other countries still today (2008 model year). -Dave
Dave wrote:

Nothing stopping them except the NHTSA.

But is the higher gas mileage worth driving such a butt ugly death trap? I vote NO.
Remember the Metro convertibles? ACK!!!!