The glass back window on a 97 Pontiac Sunfire

Hey all. I just recently bought a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire convertible for a pretty decent price. The car is in excellent condition, except for one small imperfection. The convertible top has a glass window, but somehow that glass window has fallen out of its moldings and is now a seperate entity from the car. My question : Is there a way to put the glass window back on myself?

If not, and I have to go to 'an expert' what should I say to to them? I had called a place in Phoenix( i live in Arizona) but they said that it could not be put back on and i would need to install one of their tops, Not going to happen anytime soon.

Any info you guys could provide for me would be most helpful.

dj_cam1987

Reply to
dj_cam1987

Paradox

There has GOT to be more than one convertible top place in Phoenix. Tell them the back window fell out and you would like it fixed.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Hey dj:

I've "roped in" a couple of windows in my time...but never on a ragtop. Frankly, I don't know if the same techniques would work...I presume the glass was held in a molded piece of rubber sewn into the fabric top, correct? The rubber has a notched profile and the notch is where the glass sat? Might work, might not, YMMV.

Brian

Most top shops don't repair window curtains, they replace them. They should be able to replace just the window curtain if it is a separate assembly from the convertible top. Shop around.

Where did the curtain come off the glass?? At the bottom only??

There is so little room for that top to compress that a strain is put on the glass and curtain mating surfaces when the top is down it causes the separation. The bottom of the window is literally pushed into the back wall of the top well.

In my 68 GM Repair manual the process for attaching the glass to the material was called dielectrically bonded.

On my 68 Buick convertible the back window was allowed to float about

2-3 inches fore & aft when the top was lowered. Todays cars that back window doesn't have any give when the top is down.

Sadly, due to dirt & water & age shrinkage its virtually impossible for the owner to reglue the two pieces back together.

Mustangs & Sebrings do the same thing.

good luck

Harryface.

Reply to