The great American pe nis machine

Page 2 of 3
Mark wrote:

I had a 78 silver anniversary POS. And they were slow pretty doggy. About the only thing it was good for was compliments and probably would have made a good tomato plant starting greenhouse with that stupid big back window that did not open. The kids called it the Batmobile. I had a 61 Vett Borg Warner T-10 4 speed/327 when I was in college, that thing was pretty fast but a 4 door Plymouth with a Torqueflight (sp?) beat me off the line every time and I could not catch him in the quarter, and a 340 Dodge something did the same. The front suspension on those C-1 vetts had kingpins! and were basically a 53 chev front end suspension. The good old days.

No, but those of you who think you own the road really annoy those of us that do. :)
-W
On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 11:32:08 -0500, Clams Canino wrote:

LOL! Just trying to be a good driver!

Well, not so fast. You do NOT have to stop at the entrance to a roundabout just because another car is in the roundabout. True, you have to yield the right of way but clearly by your own description you had PLENTY of time to get into the roundabout without interfering with the right of way of the car already in the roundabout. The guy in the 'Vette was a jerk but you clearly could have been moving long before you did. Then you decide to pull out and interfere with the right of way because some jerk is yelling at you. You think that's good judgement and displaying some modicum of courtesy?
On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:55:26 -0700, ACAR wrote:

I don't push the limits. I don't have a stable of 20+ year old cars because I do stupid things. The guy had entered the roundabout to my left before me, and was almost 1/2 of the way to me when Dipshit started his rant. I should have held my ground and let him scream. He obviously had enough time to follow me halfway around town, what difference did a few more seconds at a roundabout make?
And all the time he was following me, he was running his mouth.
I make my living driving 65-125 miles a day from service call to service call. If anyone should be in a hurry, it should be *me*.
The sooner I get done, the sooner I get home.

But you did a stupid thing! You let some jerk intimidate you, causing you to do something you had not intended to do.
To yield right of way does NOT mean you have to stop if you see a car. Right of way provides the ability to proceed without interference or conflict. As long as you don't block or cut off the car in the roundabout, you've complied with right of way.
I also have old cars. But that doesn't mean I have to drive like an old lady.
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 05:16:37 -0700, ACAR wrote:

There's a difference between "Old LAdy", "Spirited Driving" and "K00K".

Are all non Corvette Drivers jealous of Corvette Drivers ?
On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 05:07:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ya know, when this mouth was running his yap, I was wondering if *HE* was jealous of Supra owners...
BTW, are you going to drive a Dodge Dart through a Police station anytime soon? ;p

That would be insane, wouldn't it! Wondier if that is true, and what state it is?
The state if confusion, perhaps? ;)

OF (are you there?)
-W

Or the state of insanity...
On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 08:32:18 -0400, PeterD wrote:

I can't remember, but I remember once being somewhere where people entering had the right of way.
Must have been NY. They haven't a clue about driving there. They make Boston drivers look *good*!!
This whole thread is about guys who can not afford to buy certain types of vehicles and are jealous of those who can, it seems LOL

No, the whole thread is about people who don't know how to drive, and who are prone to making silly statements while in traffic. <g>
On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 11:06:37 -0400, Mike wrote:

Hey, not everyone can own a Supra, after all...
Only 16,775 made in 1988, and declining numbers from then on. And, they were split between 4 continents.
I had a run in with a Corvette driver in 1989 when I was coming back from Florida. Its 3:30 am, driving north on Illinois Interstate 57. Speed limit was 65 mph. I'm driving my 1978 Olds 88 2 door........
I'm the only car on the road. Cruise Control is set at 72 mph. Lo and behold I catch up to a car and pass it. Its a white Corvette doing 55 mph. I can't see who is driving it.
15 minutes later the Corvette comes flying past me at 90+ mph.
10-15 minutes later pass and the same thing happens. I catch up to the Corvette who is back to 55 mph. I pass it again on cruise and its out of sight again.
10-15 minutes go by and zooooooom!!! there goes the Corvette on my left side and he /she is of sight in the blink of an eye.
This game goes on for close to two hours. Around Champaign, IL. I even stopped off at a gas station hoping to put more distance between me and the Corvette. Back on 57, I'm the lone car on the road again.
Headlights appear as dots in my rearview mirror........they are getting closer and closer....is it ? could it be? Noooo, It's not the Corvette.......its a new 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 litre.
As it pulls out to pass me, there is a car right on its rear bumper. As it gets closer the silhouette is undeniably familiar - and those pop up headlights!! The Corvette has returned. Both cars roar passed doing 100 + mph.
Suddenly, I'm alone again on this lonesome road.
: - )
North of Kankakee, IL about an hour later I see red dots on the horizon. As I get close these dots become more clearer to the eye and more familiar as the round tail light housings seen on GM's Chevrolet Corvette.
As I get closer I see its a a white Corvette...Its doing 55 mph again. I move over to pass it - still cruising at 72 mph. As I get along side of it, I began to ponder the situation. I wonder what is running through the mind of this driver. My Olds 88 has a 350 - 4 barrel V8 under the hood. I may have had the air cleaner cover turned upside down like many young men did back in the day to allow more air to be sucked into the carb, and to give that throaty sound when accelerating away from a light.
As the motor was even with the Corvette's driverside window. I thrust my right foot down on the gas pedal, The four barrel opened up to a tremendous roar........and that children is all the Corvette needed to hear.
IT'S GO TIME!! Both cars roared to life! The speedometer on my car rapidly closed in on 85 mph mark (I think the speedometer only went up to 85 on this car), but it went faster than that. In just under 10 seconds the Corvette had gone from 55 mph to who know's what. In the blink of an eye it was gone - out of sight - and out of my life forever. The 2 1/2 hours I had to drive yet were uneventful.
I never saw the Corvette again.
harryface 91 Bonneville 319,179 05 Park Avenue 86,911
On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:07:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

Good story.
I drive a Hummer H1, and do many long distance trips from New England to Florida. I drive at 58 MPH (the best cruising speed for the H1, 16+ MPG) and I'll have the same cars pass me five or six times. I've had cars pass me for two days of the drive, over and over and over. WTF? Does every car pass me, then pull off at the next exit and laugh for ten minutes?
(FWIW, I will be passed thousands of times, and will usually manage to pass two or three cars and trucks on a average 1400 mile trip. But I arrive fresh and rested, not beat from the drive.) Right lane all the way.

Mike - if you read the thread there's no one claiming they KNOW cars entering have right of way. And besides, having right of way does not necessarily mean other drivers have to stop. Other drivers have to allow the car with right of way to proceed without impeding.
But the OP hasn't responded regarding his violating right of way because someone was yelling at him. Such sensitivity should be rewarded - a ticket would be appropriate.