The Lumina's back!!

(Got those brakes fixed. Seem to be just fine).
Another problem surfaced just before the brake job and hasn't gone away yet. Thought it might have been caused by low level of brake fluid.
The service engine light comes on occasionally. Seems it my be most often when stopped at a light but it has come up at other times.
Anyone have a list of devices that will trigger this alarm?
Thanks

What year? I'm getting an occasional SES light at low engine speeds. It's supposed to be a loose connection to something in the vapor recovery system, but I haven't gotten it back to the mechanic yet to get it straightened out.

Sorry should have mentioned 1991 six cylinder (3.1)

Get the codes read to pinpoint your problem.

There are tons of codes that could be present. Depending on the year, you may even be able to read the codes from the service engine light yourself.

How would one do that? (it's a 1991)

1991 has OBD I so do a web search for images of an OBD I connector. Short pins A & B with a paper clip or the likes and turn the key on. The SES light will flash in a manner like Morris code. It will flash a series of three "12"'s (if I remember correctly), then it will flash the code for the error it has, followed by three more "12"'s. The 12's will flash a one flash of the SES, a slight pause and then two flashes of the SES.
There's tons of stuff on the web about reading OBD I codes - do a little looking around and you'll find a lot including a code list.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

OK seems it's Code 23.
That works out as: 23 Manifold air temperature sensor signal showed an air temperature of -31 F for 10 seconds after engine had been running for 4 minutes.
from this site: http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/90-91_31V_mfi.shtml

Turns out it was caused by the connector on the air cleaner left unplugged by the outfit that did the last oil change for my Dad just the day before I picked up the car to do the brakes. I stopped by to visit a buddy who works in a dealership. He checked their computer and pin pointed the problem in seconds.
Guess you can't trust any shop to do a simple oil change.
:-(