The new GM looks abroad

Page 3 of 4  


If you try that, all of the USs trading partners will put duties on thing from the US then you WILL be in the deep do-do.
--
Clive


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Clive wrote:

Smoot-Hawley Tariff: http://future.state.gov/when/timeline/1921_timeline/smoot_tariff.html
--
Service Guarantees Citizenship

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

the US puts up trade barriers, I'm sure Europe, Russia and the rest of the world will pick up the slack with the rest of the world to service China and India.
--
Clive


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
writes

You seem to have missed the fact that we are already in deep doodoo. We are looking for the shallowest end of the cesspool
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/26/2010 5:26 PM, Clive wrote:

Plus if GM needs to double an already inflated price using protectionism there will be a whole lot less domestic buyers.
In fact this phenomenon has already stated. More and more people are locating themselves closer to work as to walk to work. Negating the need for a full time vehicle.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
writes

I dont think so, Canuck. I have lived in countries where importation controls were in effect. You still have to have cars, and other things, but you get used to paying a lot for them.
Our "trading partners" already have ways to control imports from us. And they can do it without taxes.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes, Japan doesn't allow car ownership unless the owner has a parking space or the vehicle is so short that if it's not made in Japan, it can't be bought.
--
Clive


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/27/2010 8:54 AM, hls wrote:

If you mean no one in Japan wants to buy a GM, it isn't because of anything the government needs to do, GM is viewed as over priced junk.
Everyone suffers with protectionism, as people buy less when they are forced to pay for lethargic unions and incompetent management. Fortunately I don't believe this will happen. It is more likely that the Tata Nano will show up for $5000.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I dont exactly mean that. GM products might be viewed as junk. I am not sure.
Some countries put such a high import tax on cars that it is just not feasible, but not all of them suffer from it. My previous boss, a Norwegian citizen, wanted to take her Lexus (430?) back with her. The car cost about $72K here, but the tax to take it back was about $300K.
Some countries subsidize their auto industries, and you have little chance of dragging an American car in there.
Gasoline prices punish some makes and models.
There is always a way to inhibit this sort of trade.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/29/2010 8:36 AM, hls wrote:

Yes and fewer people buy cars. Your point? Make less cars?

Yep. And fewer people enjoy riding a nice car, if they have one at all. Your point? Make less cars?

Not like GM, not even close. GM wrote off almost 300 billion in equity.
And by your very argument, what about North American non-union Toyota, Honda and BMW? You are just a blowing smoke.

So? I believe the buyer should have the choice.

Yep, at the cost of everyone else for greedy selfish marxist-socialist auto.
Go to Cuba or Venezuela to see how marxist-socialist really work. (Hint, they don't even make cars because so few can afford them).
GM needs to get the fat our or die. The later is preferred as no one believes the prior is possible. All talk, no action.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I lived for some years in Venezuela, Canuck. I can assure you I know what it was, and is, like. Venezuela did not manufacture cars at that time because there was not enough market to support it. But we WERE almost forced to provide all our employees with cars and even living accomodations. Cars were imported, were expensive, but were quite available and lots of people had them.

I agree. GM needs to straighten up or go bust. I dont think many of us want to support an industry that is not viable, in which we are not de facto share holders.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Canuck57" wrote:
More and more people are locating themselves closer to work as to walk to work, negating the need for a full time vehicle. __________________________________________________________________
There will be no need to drive long distances, because there will be no big, sprawling manufacturing plants to drive to for work. They will all have been relocated to foreign countries.
We will abandon our dreams of being suburban homeowners and become in-town rental apartment dwellers. Our needs for food, clothing and entertainment will be within walking distance. Any transportation needs will be met by public buses or trains, on schedules set by the government.
Welcome to the new year: 1800.
Rodan. __________________________________________________________________
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If you want to look into the future then living close to a river like the people in pakistan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You must believe all Americans live on the east and west costs. ;)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/26/2010 8:45 AM, Tom wrote:

Which i why governments wild jump in debt-spending hasn't been seen by the middle class at all.
It is also why Reaganomics worked and Obamanomics corruption fails. Obama is bailing out super rich and corrupt banking. Reagan simply and ultra efficiently left productive people with more of their own money. While Obama is stealing the middle class worker blind saddling them with more massive government ponzi debt.
Criminal actually.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling but GM is STILL the number one seller in the US, year to date. LOL
wrote in message

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/26/2010 6:33 AM, hls wrote:

Who is going to pay ten times the price for a NA GM made piece of crap?
Hint, not many. Protectionism will not work. People are not making the wages to keep up with GMs inefficiencies. How is a $40k wage earner going to pay taxes and for a $50k GM Volt when a person in India makes $15k but spends $2,500 for a Tata Nana and lower taxes?
Bottom line, GM is grossly over priced to a point where it cannot work.
--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

deficient in a lot of product areas.
We dont like to think we could become like India, where you might work all day for a few rupees. But if we totally lose our manufacturing base, we could go that way.
In the past, we thumped our chest about our world's best technology and the high quality of American parts. We are not thumping our chests much any more.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Get real, the US is still the worlds largest manufacture by far and has an economic base that is nearly twice that of any other country, as well as the worlds safest currency.
BO(ZO) and the Dimocrat Congress, the so called "party of the working man" are doing their best to change that, however. Last week 500,000 American workers lost their jobs. The largest job loss number for one week in our history.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/26/2010 12:46 PM, Mike wrote:

No they are not. And if you haven't noticed, USD is slowly loosing value.

Yep, democrats are selling out the American dream for debt, dysfunction and corruption.
Vote differently next time. Vote for honorable types, most often these are not those with the fastest moving lips like Obama.

--
Is government working for you, or are you working for the government?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.