The Party is Over..Toyota Quality Takes a Dump

Page 1 of 3
Toyota having major quality issues.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/18/AR2006071800 681.html

First of all, we've already covered this item (Please see my thread, as well as a few others)
And secondly, www.tinyurl.com is your friend; the link was broken.
http://tinyurl.com/z7xko
Natalie
The Bonesman wrote:

Toyota finds a marginality and voluntarily recalls the cars to fix it. No big deal. Ford had a massive problem with engine control modules and fought against a recall for years. It finally took a California court going against them to get Ford to do the right thing.
( http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/read/8735 )
Every company is going to have some problems get out there. The question is, does the company stand up and deal with the problem or do they rope-a-dope their customers?
I am still waiting for the GM 3.4 L intake manifold gasket repair recall!
John
You mean just like Toyota sludge problem in engines on hundreds of thousands of cars?
mike

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:58:24 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

....and NOT ONE documented to have had the factory recommended oil changes....
Just because we drive the best cars in the world does not make all of us smart enough to change the oil...
--

Scott in Florida

Scott in Florida wrote:

Didn't Toyota reduce the maximum oil change interval to 5,000 miles because of this? Ford did the same for one model year (1995?), reducing it from 7,500 miles, probably because some of their engines were burning too much oil.
For my 1980s Corolla, Toyota allowed 10,000 miles between changes, not that I ever let it go even 1/3 that far.
On 20 Jul 2006 18:56:54 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"

My '92 Corolla has two intervals
3750 or 5000 miles.
3750 is for severe service
--

Scott in Florida

Your are correct there was not one..........there were many. ;)
mike

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:09:26 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Yes...
In talking to dealer service people in my area (and MDT Tech in Washington State)....they all say they have not seen a single case of sludge in properly maintained vehicle.

--

Scott in Florida

What does that prove? You can mostly likely find a lot of people in your area, or Washington State or any other state, that have never seen Paris. I've seen Paris as well as a half dozen sludged up engines, in just one fleet, that had the problem, one even required and engine change.
Use you head no manufacture will ever warrant for neglect. The original Toyota warranty, like every other warranty, even states that fact. It is not usual for problems to first show up in fleet cars, because fleets and fleet service center like ours, service large numbers of the same kinds of vehicles, that can quickly accumulate mileage. Fleets were the first to see gasket problem occurring in GM, Chrysler, Honda Toyota and Ford vehicles when asbestos was taken off the market, as well.
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

Oh yeah, the one where Toyota unilaterally extended the warranty to 100,000 miles? When did GM EVER give an extra warranty to cover issues like that????
John
Actually it was eight years, unlimited mileage. But only after blaming the problem on owner neglect, until the problem began to show up in engines serviced at dealerships. And yes many manufactures have offered extended warranties, including GM ;)
mike

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:14:54 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

The problem did NOT appear on vehicles that had their oil changed per Toyota maintenance schedule.
Prove me wrong....
--

Scott in Florida

The proof is self evident. Toyota issued numerous TSBs, change the head on all effected engines, built as of August of 2003. Switched to a synthetic oil recommendation. Extended the warranty to eight years unlimited mileage, on engines with the problematic head What more proof does anyone, but a true diehard apologist, need? Toyota is no better than any other manufacture, they too make some that are not up to snuff on occasion. Even sometimes a lot of them, that are not up to snuff. The most recent large recall proves it. ;)
mike hunt

Mike H...where can I get a copy of those TSB's, how do I know which head was changed out. I have a 3.0 in a highlander have been changing oil @ 3000 miles +/- which was bought August 03

Call you dealer and give them the VIN#, WBMA. They can advise you if your vehicle is eligible for the extended warranty related to what Toyotas refer to as gelling
mike hunt

The problem is.....I want independent sources for this. Not that my dealer would lie, but I have questioned them at length about a possible sludge problem. They have told me all the TSB & recalls that applied to my vehicle so far. They have had sludge cars in their facility, that according to them, one owner never changed their oil at 67000 miles. I just wonder for my own satisfaction if I should pull the valve cover off some weekend and have a look.?? or do synthetic.

You can go to this NHTSA site http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ and click on the "Technical Service Bulletins" link and search TSB's yourself or click on the "Recalls" link and search recalls.
You can read for yourself how to determine whether a vehicle has engine oil gelling or not.
I am not aware of any cases of oil gelling in an engine that has had its oil changed every 3,000 miles. The cases I am aware of had all had extended oil change intervals.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

I hope they didn't give a free repair to the idiot who went 67000 miles and never changed their oil.
-
The dealer did not......customer threatened to take them to court.