The screeching bird in Buick commercials

Does anyone here remember the big, screeching bird in Buick commercials of about 20 years ago? What was the point of the bird? I found it creepy and annoying, and I wonder why it sold Buicks.
Jason Hsu, AG4DG usenet AAAAATTTTT jasonhsu.com
They had a Buick Skyhawk back then...

Since, according to commercials, "The great American road belong[ed] to Buick" some years ago, I want to say that it might have been a bald eagle. Either that or Pontiac's old FireChicken was confused for a while.