The ugliest car ever made?

(Car Lust) - Some cars are beautiful, and some ... well, not to put too fine a point on it, some cars are not beautiful. The proportions are off, or the detailing is overwrought, or a prominent design element clashes with the rest of the styling, or it's bland and boring, or something's just ... not quite right.

And then there are those select few that are total aesthetic disasters. Not just ugly, but dog ugly. Butt ugly. Warthog-beaten-with-an-ugly-stick ugly. Cars it hurts just to look at.

Today's subject is such a car. It was voted "the ugliest car ever made" by the readers of CarData, Whether that's exactly right or wrong--I can think of a few other contenders for that dubious honor--this car is nevertheless one whose body panels insult the very steel they were stamped out of. Continue reading only if you be men and women of valor, for the styling of this automobile is so just plain wrong that it would make even an Aztek owner recoil in horror...

Continued:

Dur

Nothing was uglier than the Aztek.

Reply to
chronicle

The Matador runs a close second...

Reply to
Dogg

The Yaris & Tribeca rate right up there too.

Reply to
Tom W. Butts

I thought the Matador coupe was fairly attractive in an early 70s sort of way. Of course my taste has been criticized before...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I thought the same, Nate..

The Citroen 2CV is still plenty of ugly for the buck.

Reply to
hls

I don't think you can get much uglier than the humpbacked Sevilles of the early 1980"s. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

Always been a GM man, but the '59 Chevrolet has been tops in that dept. in my book.

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

I couldn't stand any of the 1959-60 GM flat roof 4dr hardtops, though I love all the other body styles. If someone gave me the nicest 4dr hardtop around, I would use it as a parts car to restore any other body style. On Chev, Buick, Olds. Pontiac, I would rather have a station wagon than the 4dr ht. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

My father bought a '59 new, a light blue color. It also had the 348 block with 4 bbl and was fast in its day. A few years later, my brother bought the '59 convertible, a much nicer design. It also had the big block, 4 speed close ration and 4.56 Posi-Traction rear. Fastest car in our high school proven one morning racing a Ford right in front of the school.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

lp1331,

My dad a 60 Buick 4 door hardtop with the flat roof. We had it till

1975. It was great car with a huge wrap around rear window with no obstructions for rearward visibility.

I wish cars built today had that kind of window. You could see everything behind you when backing up and parking.

harryface

91 Bonneville 320,999 05 Park Avenue 93,865
Reply to
Harry Face

What's up with that anyway? Is there some government regulation limiting the amount of glass in a vehicle or something? Every make is like that now. I could see if it was stylish or something, but it's not.

Reply to
Tom W. Butts

I know you said it in jest, but there may be government regulations in the form of crash testing. Those '59 models probably would not do as well in a roll over. Last car I could easily back into a parking spot was my '91 Regal. I could actually see the trunk deck corners. Nothing since.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes indeed there actually is some government regulations, limiting the amount of glass in todays vehicle. They are the new rollover and side intrusion standards.

Ford has overcome some of the need to reduce the overall size of side windows by extending the door(s) down over the frame rail on the Lincoln

2010 MKS, MKT and the Ford Taurus and Flex. Watch for other manufactures to adopt that idea as well.

Reply to
Mike Hunter