Thermostat question Olds Intrigue

My '98 Olds Intrigue (3800) seems to take a long time to heat up, and the heat gauge never gets much above the one quarter mark. I changed the upper and lower intake gaskets last summer and when I
re-assembled it I put a new thermostat in it. When I installed the new intake gaskets, I had read that it was somewhat difficult to purge all the air out of the cooling system after performing this job, and a way to get around that was to drill a 1/8" hole in the new stat, which I did, and filled the system -- topping it off several times until it was completely full. I noticed it never really develops full pressure in the system, but the coolant remains full. I have never pressure tested the cap. Anyway, now that winter's here, I am dis-satisfied with how long it takes this car to heat up, and with the fact that the temp gauge stays down around a quarter -- so I was wondering if my having drilled that 1/8" hole in the new thermostat would be enough to compromise the heating-up of the engine as I described?
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:57:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (blowout preventer) wrote:

Is the thermostat facing the 'right' way?
I would suspect the thermostat is defective, btw, based on your comments.
The 1/8" hole won't affect things, and some thermostats come pre-drilled with these holes for this very reason.

There is probably a screw or small bolt in the top center of the thermostat housing. Take the screw out ... until antifreeze starts coming out of the hole. You may have to take the screw out twice during a warm-up cycle then you are done with the air issue.