They Screw Their Best Customers

A friend of ours ( little old lady ) has been taking her Chevy to the dealers for all maintenance since she bought it there.
As she explained it, they always found something extra
that "needed fixing or replacing" and her visits averaged $200 > $300
Last time, she balked at the estimate, and took her car to an independant garage. They concluded; a. there was nothing wrong with her brakes or bearings. b. many of the items charged had never been replaced. c. they'd do what really needed doing for about 1/4 the price.
Not only has that CHEVY dealer lost her as a customer, they've lost everyone she tells her story to.
I guess there are bad apples in every barrel.
<rj>
<RJ> wrote:

Through the years there have been enough of those dealers scattered around, not just Chevy dealers, to permanently sour people on Detroit dealers (and their products). I am one also. There is absolutely no way that I would gamble $20K or more on a Detroit product. The risk of having the dice come up snake eyes is just too great for me to risk. That is why Detroit may well be in terminal decline. They brought it upon themselves by greed, stupidity and short sightedness-they deserve no pity, none.

I am not defending nor impugning any particular dealer, however there are PLENTY of Toyota and BMW Mercedes dealer stories that I hear from neighbors and coworkers that lead to one conclusion: no matter what the make of the car is, you can bet your life that some of the dealers of that brand are nothing more than crooks.
Double Tap

That is pure bullshit. Dealers of every make, every country of manufacture have done crap like that, not just Detroit. I can tell you similar stores of Mercedes, Lexus, Saab, Hyundai, Volvo, and others that are just as bad.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

To judge from the market share of the Detroit makes vs. the market share of Toyota/Honda/Kia/etc. there would seem to be far fewer duds (and for sure there are some) among the import makes than among the Detroit lot. Even on a per capita (?) basis rather than absolute numbers. Detroit still loses.

I doubt it. Don't forget to toss in the chain and franchise repair shops and independents that will rob you blind no matter what kind of car you drive. . The per capita or any other basis is probably about the same percentage of thievery. If there are twice as many dealer for white cars than black cars, there are twice as many thieving white car dealers.
wrote in message

My daughter went into one of those instant oil change places, for their $19.95 special. She came out with estimates for $500 worth of things her car didn't need. One of the things (spark plugs) may have been legitimate but $92 for four spark plugs is just a "little" too much!
-