thieves

Page 1 of 4
Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all.
The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write
down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.
I called Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.
The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.
To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.
And for most cars today that is useless as the key and the remote have to be programmed to the car before it will work to start the car. If he just wants to steal what is in your car it is far simpler to smash a window. Besides you may find that deliberately blocking the vin as covering the license plate is illegal......

That is a bunch of BS. One can NOT obtain the key code from the VIN#, period. If indeed a dealer told you that he must have been your selling dealer, knew you, and had recorded you code number, if not he was full of BS as well. The only way a dealer could get a key code is from the selling dealer IF he recorded it when the car was delivered. Few dealers would assume the liability of giving a key code to anybody but the registered owner, in any event. There is a key code hidden on some of the vehicle, but it s not easily visible without disassembling some part of the vehicle. That place varies by manufacture. The VIN# has 17 digits each of which has a particular designation but none has anything to do with the key code. The VIN# is assigned to a vehicle after it is bucked. The day the buck is sent to the assembly line, is the day the lock assemblies and keys are assigned to a given vehicle and the code is attached to the keys for the dealer to record.
mike hunt
Lanze wrote:

Lanes wrote:

It seems like you are full of shit as usual. Yes. it is possible to get a set of keys made by the vin #. They may not start the car, depending on whether or not they need to be programed to the vehicle, but it is possible to get a set of keys made from the vin#. You're talking out your ass as usual.
I worked for thirty years in the US automotive industry as a design engineer for GM, VW and Ford. Please explain how you came to the ridiculous conclusion one can get the key code from the VIN? The VIN list only the county of manufacture, the manufacture, the body style, the restraint system, the engine, the year of assembly, the plant of assembly and the sequential number of the production.
Get real. Do some researcher before you choose to comment on a subject of which apparently have little or no knowledge.
mike hunt
Mike wrote:

The VIN UNIQUELY identifies your vehicle. IF, and I say IF, there is a database somewhere which records key code associated with VIN, then it is indeed possible. From reading the posts in here, it sounds like the selling dealership may have a database which can match a VIN to a keycode. Since the original story spoke of going to a dealer (it didn't specify SELLING dealer, but then lots of those like to brand your car with their friggin sign on your car so it wouldn't be hard to figure out), it seems possible if not entirely fool proof.
Comments?
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:16:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

I actually work at a GM dealership, and we can cut and program the key for any GM vehicle off the VIN number, GM keeps it in their database.
I think you have to bring in registration and proof of who you are though, anyone who just gets the VIN number and walks into a dealership probably can't get a key cut. Whats probably happening is the thiefs have a hook up at the dealership for whatever brand car they need a key for.... Did no one watch Gone in 60 Seconds? not all of the movie was BS...
I need to get a key cut for my nissan, I think I'll try this out, I'll bring my VIN number and also my key code # and see if they will cut it without looking at the registration/title and then my license. If they do, I'm gonna get myself some free oil changes after chewing out the management.

The dealer should require some form of ID and proof of ownership. That keeps the crooks from coming in and getting a key to steal your car with. Some dealers don't do this apparently as I have heard on the news of cars being stolen this way.
The very fact that anybody can walk up to any vehicle and obtain the VIN, in itself should indicate to any thinking person, even the most simple minded among us, that you can not obtain the key code by simply knowing the VIN going to any dealership and having a key cut that will allow anybody to drive off with that vehicle as the originally postulated. That why the post was BS, end of discussion
mike hunt
SgtSilicon wrote:

constantly changes his reply to address to stay out of everyone's killfile.
It is only misinformation to those like you that obviously do not know the subject. If you do not wish to be enlightened you can look for "mike hunt" in the body to delete my posts. I always sign that way no matter from where I have connected to the NG's. Have a nice day.
mike hunt
WaterWatcher wrote:

I certainly know BS when I hear it. Apparently you are one of the simple minded among us that believes a key code can be determined by the VIN. To cut a key one needs the key code to determine the cut number, or an original key to copy. When I was Group Sales Manager after I retired from the manufacturing end of the business I would have fired any employee that revealed the codes we had on record, of the vehicles we sold to our customers, to any person, dealership, or even a so called manufactures data base without proof of the owner(s). Think of the liability for the dealership, or the manufacture, if one of our employees revealed the code or cut a key for the thief that took YOUR car, or even for the husband of the WIFE who jointly owns that vehicle in the middle of their divorce. You are free to believe whatever you wish I could not care less, but the fact remains simply knowing the VIN will not reveal the key code from which a key can be cut at any dealership, as the original poster stated :)
mike hunt
Mike wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

You are in fact wrong. Every manufacturer keeps a database of their vehicles, and the VIN is the identifier for each record in the database. With the VIN, a manufacturer (or a dealership for that manufacturer) can determine your car's installed options, its in-service date, the name and last known address of its owner (or at least the first owner), any recalls that need to be performed or have already been performed, whether the car has been flagged by a dealer as having its warranty voided (i.e. for using Nitrous), and of course, how to cut new keys.
Your experience, mike, will tell you that the VIN is issued prior to the completion of the build, and therefore the VIN is useless in determining all of that information. And you're right in the sense that the number ITSELF doesn't contain all of those identifiers. But unfortuantely, you are conveniently ignoring the fact that the VIN doesn't NEED to innately contain these parameters... all the VIN has to do is act as a record number on a computer database.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
You can chose to believe what or whomever you wish. The original post stated;

the VIN # from the label on the >dash, go to the local car dealership and request a >duplicate key based on the VIN #. I said that is BS and this is still the fact. Knowing the VIN going to a dealer will NOT get the thief your vehicle, period. Those are the facts everything else posted on this subject has been opinion or conjecture.
mike hunt
Isaiah Beard wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

the VIN # from the label on the >dash, go to the local car dealership and request a >duplicate key based on the VIN #.

How is that a fact, mike? We've all gone through how it's possible to cut a key with just a VIN, and some people have gone to known careless dealers and actually done it. And all you can do is plug your ears and says "it's BS." So explain to me how it is NOT possible.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Sorry to butt into a pissing match with some facts. But, several years ago, my wife, who had already lost her set of keys to my '96 Lumina, misplaced my set of keys (car was for sale in our driveway).

...or someone "working on the inside"

I got the key codes for my '71 T/A using the VIN. They are right on the invoice I got back from Pontiac.
Dennis Smith
I would think so, that is usually where a dealer records the key code for the owner. But the key code has nothing to do with the VIN
mike hunt