thieves

Page 2 of 4

This is the invoice from Pontiac Motor Division. Not the dealer. The dealer is defunct and had probably shredded their records for the car decades ago.
_________________________________________________________________ Dennis Smith -1971 Trans Am - 455 H.O. - M21 4speed - Cameo white/blue stripe- -1973 Trans Am - 455 - TH400 auto - Buccaneer red- -1984 Trans Am - 5.0 L - TH700R4 auto - Royal blue/silver aero- _________________________________________________________________
The key code is not printed on the invoice, if it is the dealership recorded it there, not the manufacture. Why would a dealer give the invoice to a customer in any event?
mike hunt
Dennis Smith wrote:

BEEP! Sorry, wrong answer. Thanks for playing. Its COMMON KNOWLEDGE that the key codes have been recorded with the billing invoice since at least 1970. You're just too god damn stubborn at your old age!
Dennis Smith
says...

I forgot to add: You don't win a cookie!
Dennis Smith

While the two numbers may be separate, obviously a very simple database cross-reference routine can easily be done to do match the two up.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Mike, you're just splitting hairs now. The OP clearly said he went to the dealer and provided them with the VIN. It only takes simple common sense to know that they used the VIN to look up the appropriate record, and fashion a new key.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

You would probably do well to take your own advice!
Ian
Want to put your money where your big mouth is? I'll send you the VIN to one of my vehicles. You go to a dealership that sells that brand, have them cut a key. Send the key to me and if it starts the car I'll pay you $500 for the key. If it does not start my car you send me $100, OK?
mike hunt
shiden_kai wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

I'd take you up on that, but I don't see how I could possibly trust you to be truthful "and" cough up the money!
Ian
I expect an answer like that from a guy that is all talk.. Then try it with a neighbors car. Get the VIN go to a dealership of that brand get a key cut and give him the key. If he will send me a notarized statement that the car started in front of the notary I'll send him the $500.
mike hunt
shiden_kai wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

And how is his neighbor going to enforce the agreement if you reneg?
By the way: a duplicate key at the local car dealership for any PassLock II-equipped car is a mere $1.85 at the parts department at my local Chevy dealer. And the duplicates look *exactly* like the originals, with black hard rubber molding, GM emblems and all.
Fortunately, they DID require that if I couldn't show them I had at least one original key in my possession, that I show them proof of ownership (I assume the reasoning is that if I have a working key already, then I must already have the car as well). And no, they didn't use the key I had to make the copy, though they did compare the finished key with the original to make sure they matched up, save of course for wear and tear.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/2167428/detail.html
Phillip Schmid wrote:

Unfortunately, facts will not convince Mike. Even the fact that I work at a GM dealership and have witnessed numerous times how key codes are obtained....(which involves referencing the VIN) wouldn't convince him. Maybe I should take him up on his offer.
Ian

I think you should.
James C. Reeves wrote:

I'd make him sign a contract to that effect first.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Good idea!!

making he is already trying to weasel out of the original discussion. He wants the key to be able to start the car. That means he would pick a key that uses a security chip that needs to be programmed to the vehicle. But the original topic was only whether or not you could get a key cut from the vin # which we know is possible. So if you take the bet the key would only need to work in the ignition switch if the key. Just watch he twists things around, he is a weasel.
In our business we too work for GM, and just about every other manufacture. You have yet to tell us how the information that is record in the VIN would reveal the key code. Please tell us with digit or series of digits reveal the key code.
mike hunt
shiden_kai wrote:

Thats simple. The "sequential number of the production" is unique to your car. I believe that is what they use to tell if the car has recalls on it, to find out what options it has, etc etc, so it is entirely plausible that they have the key code on it as well.
Perhaps to you it is plausible, but the build number will not reveal the key code either
mike hunt