thieves

Page 3 of 4

Ok, then how did it come out of the VIN? I posted a story from a news station that did it! Here's the link again, I suggest you read it. http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/2167428/detail.html
Phillip Schmid wrote:

Mike thinks it's an urban legend...where do you go to check out urban legends? snopes.com. I wonder if anything will be turned up there?
Ian

That sounds right. Find any thing?
I also think Mike's the same one that I argued with about ABS on here a couple months back.
Phillip Schmid wrote:

Actually:
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp
Claim: Thieves have stolen cars by using VINs to obtain duplicate keys through auto dealerships.
There you go, mike. NOT an urban legend.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

There is nothing in the VIN# sequence itself that reveals the key code. That is correct. However, the VIN# is a unique number. It is a very simple database that can cross reference the VIN# to what key code is for that vehicle. It's the same process whereby your insurance company knows from the VIN# if your car has ABS or not. The fact it has ABS (or not) is not anywhere within the VIN#, but they know from the VIN# none-the-less since the VIN# opens a database record of all sorts of other (separate) information about the car.
This is really very elementary database concepts....very easy to do. Not sure why you're so hung up on "where in the VIN# itself the key code is", since that is irrelevant. Any junior database designer can tie any separate piece of data to any unique number, be it a key code or what color the buyers eyes are (if they wanted to).
I know all about VIN number and invoices. I was in manufacturing for thirty years as a design Engineer and Group Sales Manager for ten year for one of the largest megadealerships on the east cost, with 28 stores that sold just about any brand, you can name The fact remains one can not steal a vehicle by simply knowing the VIN and going to a dealership and obtaining a key as the original poster suggest. If you think you can then please do us all a favor take that VIN number, for the vehicle that guy recently posted, do you simple database search and tell us the key code for that vehicle..
mike hunt
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

How about calling up the service department for a dealership and asking if they can key a blank off the VIN.

As I posted earlier, I did just this (dealership needed a title and photo ID, dialed an automated GM line, entered my VIN number, got a faxback with the correct PASS-KEY and keycodes to cut duplicate keys (ignition and door lock)). Said keys were just like the ones I got from the factory, and opened and started the car multiple times (until I found the missing keys/fob under the seat of my wife's car :-)
I know you don't want to believe you're wrong, but you're wrong...
Thanks for helping to prove me point, that the original post was BS. You just demonstrated that one can not steal a vehicle by simply knowing the VIN and going to a dealership and obtaining a key as the original poster suggested. You had to prove to the dealership that you were the owner before they would cut you a key..
mike hunt
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

You really are pathetic, Mike. You just keep weaselling around as everyone points out the fact that the key code is "tied" to the VIN. Now you are going to pretend that your "real" point was that you can't just waltz into a dealership and get a key cut for any old VIN you want. Just say "I was wrong, you guys were right"....it's not that hard.
I talked to the parts guys at work today, of course everything I've been saying about this is true. In fact, unless you bought the car at our store, you "must" have the VIN in order to get the key code. Obviously, you also have to provide proof of ownership, photo id...yada yada yada....we already knew all that. The parts personnel will log onto the GM ACCESS site, punch in the VIN number and hey presto...there is the key code, complete with any info necessary if the key happens to be a security key. In other words, if the key has a resistor, that VIN will tell you what resistance "that" key will be.
Our dealership also ties the key code to the service record of the vehicle if it was bought at our dealership. So regular customers don't have to jump through all the hoops to get a key made.
I think you owe everyone in this thread a hundred dollars. I'd be happy to send you a Paypal invoice if you want!
Ian
mike hunt
shiden_kai wrote:

A thief can not get a key code by simply knowing the VIN# There is nothing to admit. That post is concise and correct.
mike hunt
Mike wrote:

I don't want to burst your balloon bozo the clown but I didn't have to provide any proof of ownership when I obtained my Trans Am's original PMD billing invoices which have the key codes on them.
Dennis Smith
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Weasel! Another poster quite handily pointed out what you've said on the matter. Quit your flip flopping and admit you're wrong on the matter. It'll do ya good!
Ian
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Unfortuantely for you mike, the human element isn't perfect, and not all dealerships check. The conscienscious ones do, but I know fo a few who will hand you a key with just the VIN, sight unseen.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Not only that, but everyone needs to consider criminal element. Professional theives will not need to rely on getting lucky or finding a dealer who is lax on ID check. Professional theives will have an inside person. Ametuer thieves might not be successful getting away with you car from the VIN, but let a pro see you VIN at your own risk. Can't hurt to cover the VIN, might help.

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:30:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ihatespam.net (SgtSilicon) wrote:

Professional theives will find other ways of getting into your car should they find the VIN difficult to get a look at. That's why they're professional theives.
Vuarra Vuarra
Probably right, but each layer or barrier in the way helps.