Thinking about buying a 94 lumina APV.... suggestons?

Hey everyone.

I thought I'd toss out a post before seriously considering this vehicle. My buick finally died, so it's time for a new vehicle, and this one looks pretty good.. Here's the specs

1994 Chev Lumina APV van 142,000 KM (Less then 100,000 miles) 6 cyl (Don't know if it's the 3.1, 3.4, or 3.8 yet) most available features Ontario Emissions tested Ontario Saftey check $3300 canadian (That's what, about $2300 US or so?)

Anyways, if anyone has any comments about these APVs, i'd love to hear about it.

If it makes any difference, my main type of driving is 6 mile round trips (low speed, 25mph all the way) in the week, and about 200 miles hwy on most weekend, as well as about 3 1000 mile hwy trips a year.

Reply to
Me

It is the 3.1 or 3.8 The 3.8 is the one I have. Great van. No problems. Lots of power. I just didn't like the smaller 3.1 for that size van. I get around

Reply to
Tj

I had a 92 Lumina APV 3.1 Engine. Took it out of service at 185,000 miles.

Well it required some work but was a great van !!!

Here's some of the service issues on the 92

Replacing the rear plugs are a ROYAL pain in the ass. My garage type of guy charged me $100.00 to replace 6 plugs. It took me YEARS to learn how to do it sucessfully.

I had the 3.1 intake manifold gasket leak at 85,000. Replaced that $ 650.00

Replaced the Alternator at 90,000 and again at 150,000. The GM alternators are crappy

Water Pump went at 110,000 K. Real easy to replace !!!

Heater core went at about 95,000. Now what they will do is tell you that you need to disassemble ( and evac) the a/c and rip apart the dash. What I did was remove the proper fasteners, pried and wedged the heater core compartment with a 2 X 4 and swapped out the core. The service guy wanted $800.00 I installed the part for $35.00

Rear Gate Lock assembly broke at 125,000. 60 bucks from dealer plus 35. more dollars so they could set the locking pin assy to fit the existing keys.

Somewhere around 140,000 miles it started failing emissions and setting a code. (code did not pinpoint the problem but sent me in a lot of different directions). After getting an OBDI tester, I discovered it was the O2 Sensor. Well, the cost of fumbling around was 160.00 for the tester.... which can be used on many GM cars.... and about

3 trips to the emissions station, plus a lot time wasted in learning about the car (12 hours or so). Replaced the O2 sensor for $20 bucks plus $10 for the socket. The garage wanted $100. just to diagnose the car, plus quoted a major tuneup, fuel injector cleaning, and assorted other repairs for which they would have charged me $600. plus 40. in shop charges and 30.00 tax. $700.00 and the car would have been in the shop for several days versus $190.00 and 12 hours of personal labor.

Front End work at 140,000 miles. Inner and Outer Tie Rods etc.... $550.00

At about 182,000 a pothole ate one of the rims.... 15" Aluminum Alloy. I checked ALL the junkyards for a replacement. After a week of searching, ONE rim showed up at a junkyard about 100 miles away. Point is, unique used parts for these Vans might be very difficult to come by.

At 185,000 the fuel line leaked and the engine caught on fire (embarassing moment). Seems to me someone said that Lumina's are susceptible to this. Burned the TBI (Throttle Body Injector somewhat like a fuel injected carburetor). Again trying to get used parts was difficult....and the new TBI was over $1000.00

The Van was retired after the fire (still using it for parts for a Olds Silhouette).. But it was a pretty good car while it lasted.

3.1 has power, but the 3.8 is probably a lot nicer.

Reply to
Peter

hi u dont want the 3.1. not enough power, get the 3.8 i got a 94 apv myself i love it but it costs a lot of money to have it fixed hope this helps Rick

Reply to
tigerfreak36