Thinking about getting an Oldsmobile LSS Delta 88

Ok, so I've always wanted a big ass fully loaded sedan and I've heard mostly positive things about the '94 to '99's LSS's/LS's Yes, I know it's probably not the wisest choice with the way gas prcies are today but I don't drive much so fuel efficiency isn't a major factor here. I found a '95 at a dealer, that has a little more than 100,000 KM (not miles) on it. Oddly, and surprisingly, the engine looks like it just came from the factory. Not a spec of dirt on it and the dealer hasn't detailed it yet. I don't know how it remained so clean.

Anyway, are there any MAJOR, future, problems I should be looking in to? I do know the 3.8L V6's on these things are good but what else should I expect to go wrong?

As for the '95, I notice that Consumer Reports lists it in the below average category yet the '94 is in the above average. Go figure. I do know the '95's have problems with electronic systems like door locks.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
Majestyk

("Go figure.") The '95's had a problem with the intake deteriorating & leaking gasoline onto the top of the pistons. Having made it this far, it's quite likely it has happened & been *corrected*, or else this particular one is not subject to that problem by some set of circumstances. Good vehicles otherwise. Also, you mentioned fuel mileage: highway driving & adhering to speed limits, you may just be pleasantly surprised at the mpg it will deliver. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I own a 95 Olds 88 (non LS/LSS) with 77,000 miles / 124,000 KM. Only problems I've had with mine is some A/C work (compressor and evaporator); a couple of door lock actuators gave out, and a problem with the engine computer. Haven't had a problem (yet) with the plastic intake manifold leaking, but I do keep a close watch on the coolant level.

I really like it on the highway - I get around 29 - 30 MPG on long trips, and it's a comfortable car. The 3.8L engine is very economical for it's size and is reliable, other than the intake problem.

One thought - some of the LSS were supercharged 3.8L, and I don't believe they had the problem with the intake like the standard 3.8L engine. Granted, your gas mileage will be less with the supercharged engine, unless you are very gentle with your right foot.

Hope this helps. Bob.

Reply to
Bob