Thrown Rod on Cadillac Escalade 2007

I bought a new $72,000 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 1700 mies later my engine has to be replaced. I asked for a new vechicle, they told me they would would give me 36 months of oil changes. What would you do,
I need some help, Cadillac told me to contact the Better Business Bureau. Anyone have a similar experience? Will this bring the value of my vehicle down because the engine was replaced less than 200 miles? Thanks.

I don't get it. You said "1700 miles later" your engine went. Then you say 200 miles. Either way, I doubt it would affect the value of the car.
I would deffinately report them to the BBB, but if it was me spending 72k on a vehicle that the engine blew I would be finding a way to push it as fast as you could and ram it straight threw the front window of the dealership.

As long as the repair can be made by changing the engine, GM has me their warranty obligation to the dealer. Obviously the bad rod was a fluke in any event.
mike

Why would anyone car as long as they install a new engine? You will still have your full warranty.
Ed

Why are you worried? You are going to get a brand new engine. Nobody that you sell it to, will care that it had a new engine put in it at some point. Especially not at that low mileage. The engines in these trucks almost never give any problems....so you just happened to get a bad roll of the dice.
Ian
snipped-for-privacy@ewradar.com wrote:

36-months of free oil changes. I'd have them throw in free upgrade to synthetic oil and a free loaner of equal type vehicle while yours is being worked on.

Sounds like they are living up to the warranty so you have no complaint. Inconvenience, yes, but they are doing what they said they'd do. Nothing wrong with the rest of the vehicle so you will be in good shape and get free oil changes too.

Is this the new 6.2L?
Al
snipped-for-privacy@ewradar.com wrote:

A fool and his money are soon parted. GM has no obligation to give you a new overpriced truck just because the engine was defective. As long as they put a NEW engine in your truck I don't think you have anything to complain or worry about. If for some reason they put a rebuilt engine in there then you might have cause to complain.
A dealer is only obligated to replace a vehicle under the Lemon Law if a problem can not be fixed after multiple tries. A blown engine does not fit that description. The dealer is within his rights to replace the engine only, unless driver abuse is proved in which case replacement falls on the owner ( and his wallet). Roy

ROY BRAGG wrote:

that one?

Not maintaining it properly, for one.
"jcr" wrote

It's pretty rare, at least in our dealership. The benefit of the doubt goes to the owner. The last one that I saw where we denied the claim was a Corvette. Came in misfiring, found bent pushrods and valves. The vehicle had all sorts of aftermarket performance stuff, but the customer swore he didn't "chip" it. Since the factory programming will not allow over-revving, and the only other way you could "float" the valves would be to shove it into a low enough gear to pass the redline...the customer bought a new engine. He wasn't happy, but he didn't put up much of a fuss.
Years ago, I did see a Camaro that came in the shop with a siezed engine at 48,000 klms. It still had the factory original oil filter on it, and the pan was full of emulsified oil (jelly). No warranty on that one.
Ian

There is a Dodge pickup parked across from the local Chrysler dealership here with a sign: 30,000 miles, 2005, Warranty denied..
Knowing that there are always at least two sides to the story, I talked to one of the mechanics about it. The owner had re-chipped it, run the dog...out of it, and hadn't changed the air filter, etc. The air filter, clogged with dirt, was sucked into the turbocharger, and things went downhill from there.
In a case like this, it is pretty easy to prove abuse.
Driver abuse or neglect I think is the wording n the warranty. As you've mentioned, improper maintenance dfor one, or modifying original equipment or racing. This was mor apparent in the carbureted days when engines did not have rev limiters, and valves would float and strike pistons, shelling the inside of the engine. Roy

Some commercial fleet vehicles have monitoring systems that show drivng habits. Not sure if any OEM install this on new vehicles. Freeze frame data may show certain types of abuse. Thats a good question. Any other info stored in the ECM?
Freeze frame will only store data if a diagnostic trouble code sets. It may or may not depending on how violent the ends was, maybe a P0300.
"Micah" <hopper.net> wrote in message

Every street as an appointed monitor that watches out for the neighbors and calls in any suspicious behavior. Oh, wait, don't tell anyone about this . . . . .
Gerry Motre Block Monitor
wrote in message

And does this go on our "permanent record";>)