thumping sound

2003 Cavalier makes a thumping sound when going over 30 mph. Sound seem to be coming from right wheel. When turning left the sound goes away... but when the wheel straightens back out the thumping starts again. I dont want to take it anywhere, I?d rather take care of it myself. I already took the wheel off but no obvious reasons were found. Anyone have a suggestion?
Reply to
whitecavy03

maybe the plastic liner is coming loose on the inside front portion of the wheel-well?

Reply to
cufliflox

Sounds that either come or go when turning the wheel in one direction or another generally point to a wheel bearing, or in far less cases, to a CV joint. It's kind of hard to say though since the term "thumping" is really not very descriptive.

I don't get a real feeling from reading your post that you do a great deal of car repairs. Am I reading that wrong? If that's true, there probably isn't a lot you'll want to get into on your own in the front end of your car.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

so you?re thinkin? cv joint or bearing?

"whitecavy03" wrote: > 2003 Cavalier makes a thumping sound when going over 30 mph. > Sound seem to be coming from right wheel. When turning left > the sound goes away... but when the wheel straightens back out > the thumping starts again. I dont want to take it anywhere, > I'd rather take care of it myself. I already took the wheel > off but no obvious reasons were found. Anyone have a > suggestion?

Reply to
whitecavy03

and no... i?m not a certified mechanic. but i do most of the work myself. I?m 19 and I just havent ever had this before.. I havent had many troubles at all with my vehicles. I take good care of them. thanks.

"whitecavy03" wrote: > so you're thinkin' cv joint or bearing?

Reply to
whitecavy03

Jack up the right front wheel off the ground and let the wheel spin free -- slowly. A bad wheel bearing will make a pronounced vibration at one point of the rotation. Check the CV joints while you're there for holes in the boots and grease leakage.

B.

PS: Wheel bearing and/or driveaxle replacement you /could/ do yourself...but much better to let a competent garage do it for you.

Reply to
Brian