tie rods?

I need to have a tie rod replaced on my Impalla,
I am not an auto mechanic and don't know what it is and how much should the work cost approx.
never did pay much attention to auto repairs and maintenance, but now
have more time to do so.
thanks
First...what year is it?
Second, These are important for not only controling your vehicle safely,but they also have a direct effect on tire wear. If you noticed the vehicle wandering back and forth, especially after hitting a bump, and took it in to get the alignment checked, or were having the tires replaced and the tech. did a courtesy check of your componets....doesn't matter. If they are worn out, they need replaced.
I have had tie rod ends snap and it ain't fun....(no steering control !).
Since you have the time now, call around and compare the cost. The service establishment should have given you an estimate (in writing) of the projected cost.
Did they say if its the inner or outer? Neither of them should take more then a hour to replace and then you need to have a allignment. I would guess it shouldn't be more then $200