Time to go

Since I did not buy a GM a no longer need to hang out here. My Mother even traded her Buick for a Honda Accord Coupe.
I found some interesting information and heard from a few knotheads.
CoolJet - bonehead HarryFace - cool MikeHunter - informative Adam - uninformed Weird - what can you say Howard - stage name
Bye buy for now.
Howard Cohen wrote:

You know we're gonna miss you!

Like a dirty shirt.
Thats it, take ur ass to the import group!

Howard (stage name)
There are still some of us (no thanks to you) who make our living in the manufacturing industry in this country and are DEEPLY disturbed by the fact that some people don't get it when the buy Jap crap autos and other foreign made goods taht YOU are contributing to serious and escalating economical problems for American companies and American citizens.
Howard (real name)
Howard Cohen wrote:

Weird wrote:

Well fine. However where would GM & Ford quality be if it were not for outside competition ? Like my 1976 Dodge Aspen ? GM especially needed a swift kick inthe butt in the mid 70's to about 1994.
The foreign owned US assembly plants have proven without a doubt that US workers can assemble cars as well as anyone else, if not better. IMHO it is management that needs changing.
Remember the Saturn L series ? Their field engineers were telling that the car was not ready for production. Some bugs still had to be fixed. A certain Saturn VP said no and rushed the car into production. Well it quickly earned a bad reputation for defects and Saturn's reputation took a hit and never recovered. Just one example.
Weird wrote:

Well fine. However where would GM & Ford quality be if it were not for outside competition ? Like my 1976 Dodge Aspen ? GM especially needed a swift kick inthe butt in the mid 70's to about 1994.
The foreign owned US assembly plants have proven without a doubt that US workers can assemble cars as well as anyone else, if not better. IMHO it is management that needs changing.
Remember the Saturn L series ? Their field engineers were telling that the car was not ready for production. Some bugs still had to be fixed. A certain Saturn VP said no and rushed the car into production. Well it quickly earned a bad reputation for defects and Saturn's reputation took a hit and never recovered. Just one example.
Weird wrote:

The problem is not the consumers, it is the companies that you work for that are making inferior, less appealing, less reliable products for an uncompetitive price. The solution would be to let the engineers and the car guys have more say and listen less to the bean counters, but unfortunately when a company starts to go into a downward spiral it's usually the bean counters that take over.
I wouldn't mind "buying American" even if it cost a little more, but there isn't an American car on the market that I'd want that isn't way out of my price range and/or impractical for daily use ('vette Z06, solstice, GTO, etc...) most of the economical models are bland to the point of physical pain.
Of course, some of my imported favorites (VW Golf/GTI etc.) are currently in the process of blowing up into caricatures of their former selves and other cars that might interest me (Porsche Boxster, Audi TT) are also expensive enough that the only option is to buy used.
HOWEVER... even so, if you drive, say, a Jetta TDI and an American family sedan back to back, there's really no comparison, the Jetta still wins hands down... and the TDI gets likely twice the fuel mileage...
nate

No need to leave, Howard. It is a newsgroup, not a car club.
Thanx man. Yer right, I am still lurking.
I do communicate with some corporate GM types and a retired Shell Oil executive, so maybe I can provide some insight. I would sure hate to see an American icon implode, but it has been 30 years in the making.
even

Whoda thunk it
Hairy wrote:

LMAO! What a pleasant surprise!