Timing pointer on an '86 305... How to read??

The timing pointer on my '86 305 is on the top of the timing chain cover. It is in a jagged shape with 4 points on it. I do not see any marks on those
points. There is only one mark on the balancer which I assume is for TDC.
The specifications sticker says 0* timing, which is totally bizarre, but I guess that is the tree hugger emissions era crap that kills mileage. Maybe the computer advances it out thewazoo or something. In any case, what do the points on the pointer mean? What point are for what degrees??
Cory
OK...The 0 deg is right, that's because the ECM controls the timing. Now you read the pointer with a good quality light from the top down behind the water pump. You want the line on the balancer to line up with the first big valley from the right, that's 0 deg. Sometimes you have to turn off the ecm timing by unhooking a harness or a wire.