Timing Question

A while back I was having trouble with my 305 g20 van. Pre-computer. Had little power on pulling off and deiseled when I shut it off. MEchanic charge me $60 to fix it and said he had to set the timing. I
can understand how adjusting the distributor can effect the power but how can it cause deiseling. I mean the thing is off then ,isnt it?