Tire Pressure Monitor

Page 1 of 3
I have a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V (w/ Corvette Z06 LS-6 engine). Recently, I had my tires rotated, and now the display for the tire pressure is wrong. It
reports the pressure for the back tires as the front tires. The Cadillac dealer wants $15 to "recalibate" the system, but I'd like to do myself. I believe this system is identical to the one of the Corvette. Does anyone know how to recalibrate the tire pressure monitoring system? Thanks in advacne.

does it say how to do this in your owners manual?
Luke I may be a dummy here but aren't the front and rear tires a different size and shouldn't be rotated?

-

Just checked the Cadillac website and it appears all the wheels are the same size.
Here's a website I found on reprogramming your wheel pressure sensors.
-Bruce
Bruce, thanks for clearing that up, got lazy and didn't reasearch ,it I assume you mean the tires as well are the same size.

-

Yeah, that is correct. Tires and wheels are the same, didn't mention any different offsets.
Here's the link, by the way.. duh..
http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/TECHLINK/

Nice information, Bruce; I'd never seen exactly how they work, altho' I've bought & sold quite a few that had them--even had a couple of sets of tires replaced on 'vettes using the system. Thx, s
Bruce,
Thanks for your help, but the website link didn't show up. Could you repost please? Thanks.

Here's the scoop... the main item you need to re-calibrate (actually
it's "program the sensors" in the service manual lingo) the sensors is a
magnet to engage sensors during the training sequence. The GM tool is J
41760, but maybe a decent powered magnet with a horseshoe shape or hole in
it would suffice??? I use 2 stick magnets in the shape of a "V" and just set it over the stem.
Make sure vehicle has been stationary for at least 2 minutes.
1 - Ignition on
2 - Press RESET to clear all IPC messages from DIC
3 - Press and release OPTIONS, scroll til IPC is blank
4 - Press and hold DIC RESET for 3 seconds
5 - Press OPTIONS again until TIRE TRAINING message is displayed
6 - Press RESET until IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE to begin programming
7 - Install J 41760 over left front valve stem (I guess you could try a
hefty magnet now)
8 - The horn will sound indicating LF sensor is programmed
Notice - if after 15 seconds the horn doesn't sound, remove and reinstall
tool on stem. This may have to be done up to three times in some instances.
9 - IPC will direct you to LEARN R FRONT TIRE, R REAR TIRE, then L REAR
TIRE.
Programming Cancellation:
1. Programming mode will cancel if any of the following conditions are met:
- program mode exited through DIC
- ignition turned off
- all four sensors programmed
- TPM program mode for 2 minutes with no sensors learned
2. If cancelled with less than 4 codes stored, the receiver will only accept
the codes programmed up to that point.
There you have it, good luck.
Nice to have that Cadillac powered correctly.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Should be in your owner's manual. If you don't have the manual do a search on the web. I've done it with a magnet on my Corvette but you have to know how to get to it in the computer options on your dashboard first.
Luke wrote:

You must have a real low life money hungry moron for a dealer. We've had the very same thing happen twice. When we went back to the dealer the service greeter appologized profusely. He then got some kind of a little hand held device and within two minutes had them all back in sync.
We're I you, I'd do a couple of things.
1) If you get a form from the folks who do polls on service satisfaction, fill it out and rip your dealer apart.
2) I'd call Cadillac directly, 1 800 458 8006 or if you're in Canada the number is 1 800 263 3777 ( for French speaking it's 1 800 263 7854 ) Your expereince is simply unacceptable.

I was under the impression that the dealer didn't do the tire rotation.
Barb wrote:

You might be right if the dealer had performed the rotation, at our dealership, resetting the tire pressure monitor is part of the rotation, but we do charge extra. If the op got the tires rotated somewhere, why on earth should a dealership have to recalibrate his TPM for free?
Ian
My Cadillac dealer doesn't do rotations or tire repair. We have a local tire dealer, Les Schwab's who fixes flats and rotates wheels for free. When I get my wheels rotated, my next stop is the Cadillac dealer who reprograms the pressure monitors for free.
I'm a 20 customer with this dealer. 'Don't know if this makes a difference.
--
Don
Vancouver, USA
Don Schmidt wrote:

Can't be much of a Cadillac dealer if they don't do rotations or tire repairs. We are a Cadillac dealer and we do "everything" on Cadillacs. We don't send a Cadillac anywhere for anything. In your case, they probably have a deal with the tire dealer to do that work, and as such they will reprogram the monitors for free. All that work is usually done under the Cadillac warranty anyway. Totally different scenario from what I was talking about.
Ian
Nope, on the deal with the tire company. They rotate and repair anyone's car for free.
The dealer probably figures there isn't any money in rotations and tire repair.
Anyway, it works for are locale.
--
Don
Vancouver, USA
shiden_kai wrote:

Our Cadillac dealer recently closed down frame, body & paint and converted the square footage into additional service bays for lube, drive train, suspension and brakes. They hand out a list of "referral" body shops. Tire rotation during a lube job used add $18. This last time it was $31. The sensor recal is part of the job.
Our Chevy dealer now sublets all Corvette body and paint and 'stands by' (whatever that means) the work done by the sublet. Service advisors at both dealerships complain that there is too much "dead time" waiting for body parts, for paint to dry etc. The profit per square foot (and I assume service advisor commission) is better with the jobs they've kept.
Both dealerships are cramped for service space and parking space.
PJ
Why? Simply because it's a Cadillac