Tire Question

Page 2 of 2
Im not sure it matters what tires are used if you don't drive your car much. The tires will dry rot first.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com )
Tires have an expiration date and should not be older than 6 years.
Often you get in the shops tires that have been in storage for a number of years and are as such deadly traps and should never have been sold.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_expire.htm
A brand new tire can last a long time under the car in use.
The same tire not put under the car for say 10 years and just collecting dust before put in use is completely unpredictable.
The brand name has no meaning as such because the very few producers left are making different kind of tires and they can vary a lot from one place of production to the other.
Buying tires is similar to buying beer or milk.
Two bottles may look the same at first glance but if there is a difference in production day one may be fine and the other completely wasted.
If you look at the expiration date on milk you should also look at the expiration day on the tire you are buying.
If you get an unused old tire it may prove to be your last.

Agreed.
True. I bought a 1998 Pontiac Trans AM a couple of years ago with only 12003 miles showing on the odometer. The Goodyear Eagle Tires showed very little wear. On further inspection, it was obvious that the front tires had been replaced. The rubber compound, on feel, was soft, as opposed to the tires on the rear, which had turned dry and hard, even though very little tread had been worn. It was evident that the rear tires were original, and were at least ten years old. I knew when I bought the car I would have to replace the rears, but put it off. Less than two months and only a couple hundred miles on the tires, guess what?, I had a blowout on one of the rears. I knew better, so no one to blame but myself.

The buyer of this 2009 Impala bought the car new, so he has to assume the entire car and its parts, including the tires, are brand new.If his tires are wearing out after 14000 miles, and he is taking care of his car, then something is wrong, and his dealer should be able to help him.