Tires screetching after tie rod end replacement

89 Chevy Caprice. I had the two outer tie rod ends to replace since they were badly worn. I replaced both, measured the amount of exposed threads and matched the same measurements on the new ones. I thought
the toe settings would be close. WRONG.
The steering is horrid, it seems to want to pull me in a ditch. It's so bad that on pavement roads, the tires screetch, and alternate from left to right.
While I know a professional alignment is the best, I also know that the local shop refuses to work on old cars like mine. I'll have to drive 50 miles to the nearest big city, since I live in a small rural town. There is no way in hell that I'll drive 50 miles like this.
I saw several videos on youtube showing how to use a tape measure to measure from tire to tire in both the front and rear of the tires, and make sure they are the same. I'm sure I can do that, as long as I can loosen the other ends of the tie rod connectors. My question is does this really work?
I also wonder if the screetching is due to a toe IN or toe OUT condition?
Thanks
On 10/16/2012 6:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Yes, toe is easily settable. As for the noise, it could be either, or both. It is possible to have one wheel toed in, and the other out (with the steering centered.)
I always do my own toe adjustments.
Eastwood, and a lot of other places also sell a tool to help you set toe if you want to go that way.
--
I'm never going to grow up.