Too Many Lights for Lighting Streets and Parking Lots - read.905.ew

On any given night you can see nine bright lights at the end of our street. Two streetlights from the city light up the end of our street. Our townhouse has one to light the front steps of the building and it's brighter than the street lights. There is also a second townhouse light about three units down that is very bright too. Across from our patio, on the other side of the street, below one of the streetlights are two driveway lights. Those are bright enough to reach inside our living room on the opposite side of the street. And finally, there are two parking lot lights, similar to the street lights, also at the end of our street.
So the question has to be asked: Why do we need nine very bright lights to do what three could do? The city could easily drop one of the two street lamps. Our townhouse could put one smaller light instead of the two large pot lights. The neighbour across the street could turn off one of their lights, maybe both. The parking lot only needs one of those very bright pole lights. So there is no real "night" at the end of our street. You could easily read a book walking from one end to the other at midnight. We all need to get together and syncronize our lighting projects to save some electricity, don't we?
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 20:12:11 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

In addition, parking lots around malls and factories that are closed wastes a lot of light, signs for stores even though there is no one on the street.
You can power a lot of Volts and Leafs with the waste.