Tools question

I think I want to get an air wrench.

I'm sick and tired of taking off wheels with a tire iron.

So, I was looking for an air wrench, preferably an air impact wrench.

How much 'torque' should I look for. I found standard air wrenches (not impact type) that do 55ft/lbs, but I have no idea what to look for.

In fact, in a generic air wrench, is 55ft/lbs acceptable for most home hobbyist work?

Reply to
Mike Y

At only 55 ft/lbs, I suspect it is an air ratchet. Handy for many things, but not changing tires. I'd look for a 1/2 inch impact wrench of at least 350 ft/lbs. The more, the better. Mine is rated at 625 ft/lbs and is "usually" sufficient.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I bought a Hitachi electric impact wrench. It is dependable and powerful for almost anything I want to do. I hve been very pleased.

I recently got an air compressor and will be studying and evaluating pure air tools.

Reply to
HLS

I have a craftsman industrial 1/2" electric wrench. All I've ever used it for is taking off wheels. Works great, is fast and uses a lot less electricity than running the compressor.

I bought it in 91, and have probably used it 3 or 4 times a month since, and other than the power cord getting a little skanky as of late, has been 100% trouble free.

It doesn't do well with extensions though, they seem to 'soak up' a little too much energy torsion bar style. However, there is no issue using standard and deep impact sockets. (Note those flip flop double ended sockets designed for doing a lot of wheel work usually require the use of an extension when used with electric guns, and as a result don't perform well with them.)

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I have an elcheapo electric impact wrench from harbor freight tools. I use it very little but have taken wheels off and changed a couple wheel bearing hubs. For the limited use I have it works great.

Reply to
Tim

I saw air impact at Harbor Freight for as low as $17, but most were more. On the other hand, I saw air impact wrenches of superior quality for as much as $3700. Obviously designed for everyday constant use. Out of my league.

Reply to
Mike Y

The impacts at Harbor Freight are plenty good enough for the use you describe. No point in buying more than you need.

Reply to
Mike Marlow