Tools question

I think I want to get an air wrench.
I'm sick and tired of taking off wheels with a tire iron.
So, I was looking for an air wrench, preferably an air impact wrench.
How much 'torque' should I look for. I found standard air wrenches (not impact type) that do 55ft/lbs, but I have no idea what to look for.
In fact, in a generic air wrench, is 55ft/lbs acceptable for most home hobbyist work?

At only 55 ft/lbs, I suspect it is an air ratchet. Handy for many things, but not changing tires. I'd look for a 1/2 inch impact wrench of at least 350 ft/lbs. The more, the better. Mine is rated at 625 ft/lbs and is "usually" sufficient.
Dave

I bought a Hitachi electric impact wrench. It is dependable and powerful for almost anything I want to do. I hve been very pleased.
I recently got an air compressor and will be studying and evaluating pure air tools.

I have a craftsman industrial 1/2" electric wrench. All I've ever used it for is taking off wheels. Works great, is fast and uses a lot less electricity than running the compressor.
I bought it in 91, and have probably used it 3 or 4 times a month since, and other than the power cord getting a little skanky as of late, has been 100% trouble free.
It doesn't do well with extensions though, they seem to 'soak up' a little too much energy torsion bar style. However, there is no issue using standard and deep impact sockets. (Note those flip flop double ended sockets designed for doing a lot of wheel work usually require the use of an extension when used with electric guns, and as a result don't perform well with them.)
Good Luck!
Erik
I have an elcheapo electric impact wrench from harbor freight tools. I use it very little but have taken wheels off and changed a couple wheel bearing hubs. For the limited use I have it works great.

bearing
I saw air impact at Harbor Freight for as low as $17, but most were more. On the other hand, I saw air impact wrenches of superior quality for as much as $3700. Obviously designed for everyday constant use. Out of my league.

The impacts at Harbor Freight are plenty good enough for the use you describe. No point in buying more than you need.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net