Torx Plus

They are probably not new, but I stumbled upon Torx Plus tools today while browsing the Sears Craftsman site.

Am I likely to encounter any Torx Plus fasteners on my GM automobiles?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Do you already have a set of standard torx drivers? If so, they can be used to drive torx plus--but not vice versa. (

). You'll encounter them in GM cars, as I have been using them in GM dashes and GM seat belts for a # of years. I actually don't know which I have, but I feel they are standard, as the plus version sounds to be reasonably new. I also find them used a good bit in computers, which I also work on. I feel sure I've used them under the hood on GM ap's, but cannot recall just where--unless it is on mp fuel-injected throttle bodies and some of the older GM electronic carbs and older centrally-located throttle body fuel injection systems. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Yes, I have the regular Torx sockets. I was just wondering if it would be worthwhile to invest in the Torx Plus variety. Based on your info it's probably not necessary.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

"Silver Surfer" wrote in message news:Z4adnSYFGeWk64LVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

That's the approach I have taken, not knowing the diff. of course. But then, I'm kinda tight with most expenses unless it IS tools! I love 'em, still look at all the stuff when I visit Sears with my wife. Whatever I needed to make work easier, I either bought or else I made them--esp. things like slide hammers for axle pulling, dent pullers for body work; 2 tow bars(1 for me and 1 for my buddy who helped me build them); steering wheel puller with split-ring depressor for GM st. wheels; several lengths of cutoff bolts with holes center-drilled completely thru them, head-to-tip to place inside engine-block-voids where starter bolts were rung off up inside the bolt-holes--providing me with a guide to center-drill the rung-off end to install easeouts to remove ends AFTER heating the adjacent metal cherry red; building hydraulic press which included homemade adapters to break tires as well as bearings; silver-soldering several pairs of stock-length drill bits to make a set of longer ones, using angle-steel to keep them centered(we knew nothing about availability of store-bought longer length ones in our 1-horse rural SC town); engine stands and cherry-pickers and tranny jacks; engine test stands complete with oil & temp. gauges and flexible heavy rubber-like exhaust pipes run out into the yard; first a generator and then added a regulator, and later an alternator with reg. both run w/washing mach. motors to make battery chargers--quickly learned I still needed the generator one when batt's were completely discharged!; and an ac vacuum pump from an old refrig. compressor with a proper fitting soldered on a copper tube into the vacuum side--let it run all nite to really pull the system down while working on something else--wasn't fast, but then we weren't in a particular hurry down there; all sorts of rigs to replace valve springs/seals ranging from simple leaf-spring-levers from leaf-sections w/holes drilled to fit over rocker studs to pipe-adapter bars to lay along/bolt to rocker stands on 318 Chryslers to provide pivot points for levers--and using old spark plugs with the glass removed and air fittings soldered in place for the air hose to fit while pumping up cylinder pressure. Man, what days those were! And it still amazes me how well some of it worked with such a small sum invested. That tiny sum was a necessity, as none of us had $, but could trade peas, corn, and tomatoes for expertise-work in various trades. Still wonder how the home-made driveshafts didn't vibrate w/our having no way to center the 2 pieces exc. laying them in an angle-iron section & bolting them down w/c-clamps while welding. Never any trouble to shorten, but to lengthen them??? And the adapter/pattern made from a used 400 Turbo-flywheel to drill new holes and fit the smaller 350-Turbo flywheels to the big 400 torq. convertors to allow installing 400 Turbos in '63 Chevy-ll's. Soon after that adaptation, with several running around town, Popular Hot Rodding replied to a technical querie in their Q & A-section, that "Sorry, but there is no way to install the 400 TH into a '63 Chevy-ll due to the 400's much larger t-convertor and prohibitively larger flywheel"! Did anyone tell you that on evenings after earlier receiving doc's treatment for fibro-myalgia and spinal stenosis makes a sufferer want to talk while he still feels good? Knowing that when the spinal lumbar and cervical steroid injections wear off, he will be right back into bed and straight-jacketed with braces and collars and tractions and electrical impulses lighting him up! But, 'tis nice that you can "plonk" us as soon as enough "s*it has been s*ot"! Have a wonderful evening, Silver Surfer. And, hope you have many years left to enjoy spinning those wrenches. There's nothing more rewarding than conducting a (mechanical) job well done. Doc says I wore myself out prematurely--but I have NO regrets. Twenty years of immeasurable satisfaction surpass by far longer periods of less-satisfying work, regardless of any monetary rewards so long as ends were met and all family members could proudly look at any neighbor eye-to-eye. And as Red Skelton ended his tv shows, "May God Bless!" s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Wow Sam - a whole different picture of you. Good stuff.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mr. sdlomi2,

Based on what you wrote, you, sir, are a unique and gifted person. My hat is off to you out of respect for your skills, ingenuity, intellect, and values. I wish you the best in regard to your health.

Reply to
Silver Surfer