towing capacity of an 1985 Chevrolet Caprice wagon with a V-8 and auto trans

Anyone know what the towing capacity of an 1985 Chevrolet Caprice wagon with a V-8 and auto trans would be? I'm thinking of getting one to tow a boat.

Thanks

Reply to
dogboy1995

What size boat? Even at 23 years old it should tow a row boat pretty well. Put a 30 footer behind it and it might balk up hills though. It's probably rated new at 2,000lb towing capacity. Mid-90's Caprices with the LT1 (Police Package) had something like a 5,0000lb towing capacity, but you're not going to get that out of a garden variety (earlier) Caprice.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Depends on a couple factors..

1=3D what gear ratio is the rear end? is it 2.73 or 3.23? 2=3D the class of trailer hitch you instal or is installed 3=3D the size of the boat.

These wagons are (were) rated to tow 3500 lbs. you could up that to

5000 and more if you installed a custom welded hitch, which are not popular anymore as the bolt on types are much cheaper.

too see what one of these wagons can do with a boat trailer check this out

Oh, and before you comment, I know this wagon very well and what the owner claims is true..

Reply to
Snow

The towing capicity should be in the owners manual. However this is a 22 year old vehicle. I would not want to push it to the limit.

Reply to
Chevy Man

Reply to
Shep

It also makes a difference if you live about two miles from the lake, or are you planning on towing 50+ miles. Anything will tow something for a short distance at a lower speed, but when you get up to 55-60 mph for a half hour or more everything may start to get a little "warm".

Reply to
Doug Adams

Given the age of the car, it also depends on what the trailer hitch is mounted to. The frame may be rusted and the boat may fall off before you even move.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Those Caprice wagons are tough. I don't know the rating but I would guess it would be close to anything a small pickup would tow. I believe factory towing packages were offered. I think the 85 had the Oldsmobile drive train, I know the later ones did. If its Olds you will have the 307 engine, 2004R tranny and probably some low ratio rear gears. Great for fuel mileage but not so good for towing. Look for your engine oil fill. If it is on the front of the engine just above the timing cover and is actually a fill tube you got a Olds. If it is on the valve cover you got a Chevy.

Reply to
David & Robin Johnson

Low ratio gears are good for fuel mileage and not good for towing?

Do you understand that a 4.10 gear ratio is a lower ratio than a

3.08 gear ratio? Wanna guess which would be better for towing versus economy?

When is an engine oil fill tube -not- actually and engine oil fill tube?

What if someone swapped in a 1966 327, wouldn't that be confusing?

Reply to
aarcuda69062