Towing ratings of autos vs. manuals?

Can anyone explain why a truck with a manual transmission has a lower towing rating than the same truck with an automatic even though they have identical engines? That seems counter-intuitive to me because the manual
is a direct mechanical connection between the engine and drive train. Is it because the auto haws a cooler?
Let me start by saying that I do not KNOW the answer for sure. But I would speculate that the main reason is that it is easier to burn out a clutch plate than it is to break a torque converter.
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:30:18 -0400, sean snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Sean Elkins) wrote:

Sean Elkins wrote:

Automatics have torque convertors.
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:30:18 -0400, sean snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Sean Elkins) wrote:

no it's because of the added torque multiplication of the torque convertor. hth, Bret
(Sean

It's because lots of people don't know how to drive a stick shift and they have the warranty the truck. Some Diesels like the GM Duramax have lower torque ratings for a stick shift because the transmission can't handle the engine.
Al
Al