Towing with a 2000 Impala

Sometime in the next few years my 95 Taurus wagon is going to die & I'll need something to cart lumber & building supplies around. These are just for my home projects- but they seem to be never-ending.
I'll probably inherit my wife's Impala- she'll get the new car- and I'm thinking of getting a trailer for it. My first thought on trailers was just to get something that would take a sheet of 4x8 sheet goods handily and be easy to store.
But as I thought about ordering some sand and gravel today, and having to pony up $65 for each delivery, I wondered if now isn't the time to get the trailer.
The manual says my Impala has a towing capacity of 1000lbs. Does anyone know what the weak link is? Brakes, cooling system, tranny, suspension? I've got the 3800 V6 engine, so I imagine there is plenty of pwer left to tow. [oddly enough the last time I towed a trailer it was with a 63 Impala with a 283. This is the first Chevy I've owned since 75 when that one died]
I will probably only use it a dozen times a year. I'll never be towing more than 15-20 miles & never on the highway.
Has anyone got experience towing even that 1000 - or more? Do I dare look at a 1 ton dump trailer? [or should I just scrap our system of buy a new car when the old one dies-- and pass the middle one down to me?]
Thanks, Jim
Besides the rear suspension not set up for a load like you are thinking off, there is no real solid mounting area to put a substantial reciever.

-

^^ Just enquire about an towing package what it entails maybe stiffer shocks and add on rear suspension air bags there are an number of ways to go. Check it out.
Rey
I've also heard of some cases where the WHEELS make the difference - if you've got aluminum rims, you could torque the centres out of them...
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote: 2000 Impala 3800 V6
I'm thinking of hitching a trailer to the Impala for home projects; hauling lumber, plywood, sand and gravel.
The manual says towing capacity is 1000lbs. Is the weak link brakes, cooling system, tranny, suspension? I will probably only use it a dozen times a year, never more than 15-20 miles & never on the highway.
Has anyone got experience towing even that 1000 - or more? Do I dare look at a 1 ton dump trailer? ______________________________________________
The manual's towing limit is there to protect the power train from exteme heat and mechanical stress.
You can tow even more than 1,000 lbs if you accelerate slowly, drive slowly, and go short distances.
You don't need an equalizer hitch - just a standard ball - for a small utility trailer. Just don't overload the ball; load the trailer's cargo so that tongue weight is about 50-100 lbs to ease hookup and unhooking, and to avoid overloading the car frame/suspension.
Good luck.
Wendy & John. _____________________________________________

That 1000lbs includes the weight of the occupant of the car, so take your own weight off of the 1000, and that is your true towing capacity.
Not true on the passenger load that would be gvwr.

-
next question would be - does anyone know if a tranny cooler necessary?

The manual for my 2003 Malibu says 1000lbs, including passengers.
Not to be argumentative, but if the trailer weight is reduced by 3 200 lb pasengers, you are now unable to tow. The references I have access to say the vehicles gvwr or passenger luggage load is reduced by the tongue weight of the trailer being towed. IE:, 100 lb tongue weight now would make the maixumum vehicle load 900 lbs.

-
test

Just something to consider. 1000 pounds of gravel makes a pitifully small pile. It may be more cost and time effective to just pay the $65 and have it hauled. Admittedly though, I don't know what I'd do without my little 5x8 ramp back trailer. It's rated at 1/2 ton, but it will haul about a ton of gravel before the fenders start to cut new grooves in the tires. :-)
Dave
Well, with my 2001 Impala, U-haul flatly refused to rent me ANYTHING to drag behind it - regardless of what hitch or anything else I had put on it, temporary or permanent. (They have a computer database to look up such things.) Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the car really doesn't have a frame?