Toyota aims to replace GM as the largest automaker in the world

Page 3 of 3
As it should any right thinking buyer.
mike hunt
"" wrote:

You shopped the wrong dealers!
Let a big city dealer try that, and I would take wagers on the longevity of the dealership.
Refinish King

I see refinish king prosting more valid facts, and repair proceedures then most other people in the 2 newsgroups I am active in.
Like an old guru once said "Look that dude can't read, or write, but he can lay complex circutry in his head, that a team of engeneers couldn't dream of."
Charles
Charles:
These people are pseudo intellects. They post drivel and claim it as fact. Then expect everyone to fall for it. When in fact, Chevrolet and GM dealers, Ford and Mopar dealers, have a number that the salesperson calls, which is the fleet sales facilitator.
They price the vehicle for the sales person, and the dealer gets paid on the holdback that would have been taken on the vehicle. If full price would have been paid for it. It's not breach of contract, because all dealers that were given a bid proposal have a chance to call the fleet facilitator.
The person also mentioned about buying back franchises, if her were truly informed. He would know that was a problem with: "The Black Ford Dealer Owner's Group"
Who helped finance some black people into dealers, and who went bankrupt, and Ford, rather than close the store, took over the management, until they could find a buyer for the said store.
As I said, these people are nothing but buffoons!
A six State Mega Dealer? They went out of style over ten years ago, most by bankruptcy!
Refinish King

This has been reported in the business and automotive press countless times, for example:
"Amazingly, Toyota's market capitalization stands at more than that of GM, Ford, and DaimlerChrysler combined. "
From: http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?articleq42&sid 5&n6
That may be true today but PERCEPTIONS change and most of Toyotas gains are from false perceptions, from what we see in the fleet service business. When J D Powers rated Toyota number one in initial quality, they based it on the fact Toyota had more than one problem with every new vehicle, on average, that they sold so far in 2004. As more Toyotas get in the hands of more buyers will realize Toyotas have problems just like the vehicles of every other manufacture, even though they paid 2o to 20 percent more to buy the vehicle. Add to that the higher rates charged by Toyota dealers for service and parts and their perceptions will soon change. They ALL have problems on occasion that is why they all have a warranty. The only real difference in vehicles today is style and price, and in the end, style and price gets the sale. 'I like the looks of that car, how much is the monthly payment?' ;)
mike hunt
John Horner wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Compared to GM's gasket problems that they still refuse to properly address? I'd take a Toyota engine anyday over a 3.1 or 3.4 GM engine.
I see you prefer sludge oven a leak. ;)
mike hunt
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Sludge can be dealt with easier than a blown gasket.

Are you sure?
"Do I need the engine replaced? Since Toyota has started the Special Policy Adjustment for model years between 1997 - 2001 this page will pertain to owners of earlier engines with the problem. If you have an engine with the sludge problem and it's one of the models covered by the Special Policy Adjustment for "gel" then contact the dealer for assistance. Automotive News article 4/3/02 & 2/8/02 I get a lot of questions about owners being told that because of engine sludge build-up they now need an new engine. In some cases that is true so lets offer some examples and see where you fit in. Engine sludged and the motor will not turn over. You need a motor, the cost of repairing that one will exceed the cost of a new short block assembly. When the engine is torn down for removal they will check the cylinder head assemblies for damage and you may need to have more work done. Engine sludged and the motor makes fairly loud noises when its running. You need to replace the short block and maybe the cylinder heads. Once the engine is torn down for removal will they know for sure if the cylinder heads and associated parts are good or bad. Engine smokes and runs but does not have any noise. You probably have a good engine and all that needs to be done is cleaning the engine. It sounds easy but its labor intensive to do a good job. It really is not all that difficult (again if the engine is quiet when running). NOTE: Before starting the repair make sure you have all the parts you need or a way to get them once the engine is apart. The best way to clean the engine of sludge is to follow this formula: 1) Get the engine hot. 2) Take off the valve covers and using Diesel fuel in a spray bottle, spray the cylinder heads and other sludged parts. The Diesel fuel, when applied to a hot or very warm surface, will actually make the sludge flow off the parts and then using a scrub brush of some type start brushing the area and it will make it look new. 3) Now that Diesel fuel and sludge will wind up in the oil pan and that needs to come off also and be cleaned. 4) You then need to replace the oil pump pick-up screen (cleaning may work if you are careful), the valve cover (Covers if V-6) will normally need to be replaced. Cleaning the valve covers is difficult since the vented area toward the top of the cover can't be cleaned. 5) Clean the intake as well as you can, change the oil and filter, PCV valve and once together run the engine for a short time, then replace the oil and filter again to be safe. You will probably need to clean the throttle body to allow the engine to idle, the sludge will build up a varnish that may prevent base idle. If things were not to bad to begin with you can probably get it done for as little as a couple of hundred dollars if you "repair" some parts instead of replacing them. Some dealers take the cylinder head off others do not. Taking them off does a better job but adds to the cost, cleaning on the engine should be good for the repair. Some are saying that the piston rings should be replaced. Since the problem is a sludge problem which is results in oil laying on metal surfaces the piston rings are not affected and do not need to be replaced. " http://yotarepair.com/Engine_replace.html
"Sludge buildup causes engine performance to deteriorate and, in extreme cases, causes engines to seize."
"Hundreds of other angry customers, some claiming repair bills as high as $8,000 and stuck with vehicles they were still paying for but couldn't drive, have vented their anger on the Internet or taken their complaints to lawyers."
"Parry said he has measured the temperature of the cylinder block and heads. He said the block runs at 190 to 210 degrees Fahrenheit, while the heads typically reach 260 to 270 degrees.
Parry, who says he has repaired about 30 sludge-filled Toyota engines since 1998, contends the V-6's cylinder head temperature is too high because Toyota reduced the size of coolant passages in the head gaskets.
He says that makes for a hotter, cleaner burn, but also causes sludge to build up because the oil gets too hot. Also, Parry says, sludge develops as the oil passes back into the block, which is running 60 to 70 degrees cooler. " http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId8921
"We took our year 2000 Toyota Sienna Van (22,989 miles) in for a checkup at Crescent City Toyota because on 1/13/02 p.m.our "low oil pressure" warning light came on. After immediately checking the oil, the van had burned through 4 quarts of oil after an oil change had just been done at 22,911 mileage and gray smoke was seen exiting the tailpipe upon engine startup. We took it to Crescent City Toyota first thing 1/14/02 a.m. The service dept at Crescent City Toyota checked it out, performed a "15,000 mile checkup", re-changed the oil and said they found nothing wrong and sent us on our way. We stressed that it was very important that it was thoroughly checked since my wife and toddler daughter would be taking a road trip out of state on the road alone. They said it was ok. On 1/28/01 a.m. the "low oil pressure" warning light came on again at 24,000 miles and the oil was very low upon immediately stopping and checking.
We filled it with oil and revisited Crescent City Toyota where they now say we need a new engine because the oil had built up inside the valves due to neglecting to change the oil. Cost: $5,000. Why did they not find this on 1/14/02? Burning an engine out seems highly peculiar on a 1.5 year old vehicle with only 24,000 miles." http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_engine.html (this site here has quite a few toyota car problems)
http://www.corolland.com/sludge.html
http://yotarepair.com/sludge%20article.html
Really? I suppose we can assume you have not investigated the cost of replacing a gasket compared the the cost of replacing an engine. LOL
mike hunt
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

At least (under pressure) Toyota redesigned the sludge prone engines and extended the warranty on those effected.
GM has indeed redesigned the 3.4l intake manifold gasket multiple times but has never announced any kind of extended warranty coverage program.
Most of the time the leak is noticed after the short GM warranty period is over.
John
It is bad enough that Toyota does not now pay a penny in corporate taxes on the profits it earns in the US on the vehicles that it sells for 20 to 30 percent more than those made in the US by GM and Ford because buyers have the allusion foreign vehicles are somehow substantially better. Vehicles that are assembled in factories that were, for the most part, built with state taxpayers subsidies. Plants that are able to operate free of state and local taxes for up to 15 years to mostly only assemble vehicles in the US of imported parts with lower paid employees that receive fewer benefits and less desirable pensions than their domestic manufactures counterparts. If and when Toyota overtakes Ford and GM, Americans will be able to buy Toyotas even higher priced vehicles, because they will not have a competitor, from a foreign corporation that builds the vehicles in China and provides not one single manufacturing job and pays not a cent of taxes to any state, local or US treasury. American consumes have no qualms about exporting their OWN jobs, and those of their children, but they bitch and moan when manufactures seek some of the lower costs available throughout the world in order to compete with foreign manufactures who have that advantage. Wise up Americans, unless you can provide a job for yourself and you offspring by starting your own business, if you continue to buy more and more from foreign corporations then you will need to go where those corporation produce their products to get a job. If not the only skill you children and grandchildren will need is how to say; 'Do you want fries with that?' or 'Welcome to WalMart.' ;)
mike hunt
John Horner wrote:

Mike:
I do not know about Toyota, but Honda has 2 Engine plants here in Ohio. As well as a vehical assembly plant. From what I understand some Honda's are over 40% US made parts content. Not as bad as they used to be. Toyota & Honda are in the US market for good, like Diamler-Chrysler.
I my self attempt to buy as many made in the USA products as possible. Although in the TV, home adudi, car audio, and clothing departments,you really have no choise. Even shoes, and work boots.
If you look in my tool boxes (2 roll aways, and a top box, plus 5 smaller boxes), you will see 95% of the tools are US Made. The other 5%, I have a German made pair of pliers (knipex), a Japan made Blue Point Impact, and some M-B wrenches.
If you shop at Wal-Mart a company that claimed they supported US manufactors, you will see 75% of non food items are made out side the USA. Even Zebco reels! Charles
GM and Ford make most of their parts in the US and they pay federal corporate taxes, Japanese corporations do not. I look for the '1' as the first number of the VIN, made of at least 75% American parts. If it is only a '4' it is less than 75%, if its a '5' it's less than 40% American parts. You can still buy good work shoes and boot from Knapp Shoes, made in NY state and sold by 'Iron Age' Shoe Co. Find them on the web ;)
mike hunt
Charles Bendig wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

(snip)
Blah blah blah.
Corporate concerns aren't the reason to buy car *made* in the U.S. Corporations are always asses. What's important is that in an era of companies firing 3000 employees here and 5000 here, Toyota and Honda are providing thousands of stable jobs to U.S. employees with no plans to move them offshore. GM? Couldn't care at all about U.S. labor. Pretty soon, GM will be nothing but a front for a large importation company.
Those factories also require lots of maintainence and support/logistics, as well as transportation. All with U.S. labor that feed money into the local economy and not into someplace in India or Indonesia or Mexico.
You not only snipped the part about 'Economics 101' apparently you failed the course as well. Go back and READ the post, WBMA. LOL
mike hunt
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

This is exactly why our economy is in a recession despite indicators that show otherwise.
When a large company shuts down a factory or fires a few *thousand* people at once, it causes a micro-depression in the local area as there are far too many people for the available jobs.
The lucky ones get lower paying jobs. The rest get evicted or have to move elsewhere, or end up on welfare or other social programs. Entire cities have imploded because of this.
It all trickles into the local areas, and if there are multiple companies doing it in an area, it can literally collapse the economy of an entire county or section of a state. Currently, the economy of the U.S. is riddled with hundreds of these "sinkholes" and it's dragging the rest of us down.