Toyota and some others got caught lying (inflating their horsepower ratings)

Before or after the hp rating recomputatino, the base Camry has about 160 hp. I don't think Toyota stresses that in the brochures. The people that buy them do care whether it's quick enough to merge on the freeway but they're not taking it to New England Dragway, so they're not going to get excited about hp ratings.

At the "sensible sedan" end of the market, you're much more likely to find "34 mpg" has more appeal and 31 vs 34 mpg is more important to the buyers than 158 vs 16x hp.

***
Reply to
dh

I think most test drives people do not get to really step on it. Either out of fear of exceeding speed limits or seeming abusive in the presence of the salesperson.

Brochures matter. Especially when they help you determ>No, I think that most people test drive a car and let their seat of the

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Try this scenario. The headline says 'Ford and GM overstate the HP in most of their vehicles, Toyota and Honda do not.' Would the argument about it not making any difference, still be taking place? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

There is a Toyota dealer located between two mountains. Whenever one asks to take a test ride the salesman are trained to suggest the person do so in their V6 demo. 'This car has been broken in so you can drive it as hard as you wish to feel the power.' The reason they do that is if the buyer would test drive a 4 cy Camry, rather than the salesman's V6 demo, they would discover the 4 can barely gut of to the posted 65 MPH speed limit up the mountain roads If the buyer insets on driving the 4 the salesmen takes him into town instead of out on the highway. ;)

mike hunt

Mike Hunter

Exactly which dealer is that? Which town? Which state? What street address?

Otherwise, this is the purest BS. It's the purest BS, anyway. I have routinely taken my 4-cylinder cars (Toyotas and Volvos and, earlier, a Chevy with a paltry 68hp, several with much lower power-to-weight ratios than any Camry ever built) into and then out of the local river valleys (they're steep). All the cars accelerate up these hills at freeway speeds.

Others in .toyota have refuted this nonsense, too. They own 4-cylinder Toyotas, which you routinely disparage as "underpowered" or "overpriced" in spite of copious evidence and assertions from owners to the contrary. I have repeatedly pointed out that the 2006 I4 Camry gets to 60mph just .3 sec slower than the 2006 base V6 Impala (is it "underpowered," too?), which is nice because the I4 Camry is cheaper (go check Edmunds yourself, as Chevy's ads urge you to do), gets better fuel economy and may be cheaper and easier to maintain.

And here you are with this BS again. Take it to farm country where it will be useful to someone.

***
Reply to
DH

What would you expect from owners, but what about the 20% to 30% of the owners you said do not think they have 'adequate power? Have I not always said you are entitled to you own opinion? ;)

mike hunt

the cars accelerate up these hills at freeway speeds.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And it is not necessarily their opinion that the I4 Camrys are "underpowered" or have inadequate power. It is their decision to get a V6 Camry for reasons not in evidence. You should sign up for a class in logic or reasoning. Surely, there's a good college or university near you?

Looked at your way, they've been outvoted by the people who believe I4 Camrys are just fine, anyway.

The people who believe base V6 Impalas are "just fine" should agree that the I4 Camry is just fine, because there's no significant difference in performance.

Granted that some people, the ones we call "gullible," will not agree, because they heard some Chevy salesperson saying, "But the performance of that less expensive Camry sucks! We know it sucks because it's just a Four! We give you a Six!" An antiquated pushrod Six, but a Six.

***
Reply to
DH

*** I don't know. I've driven a few 4-cylinder cars of most makes that couldn't maintain speed on grades full throttle and in "passing gear" (as they used to all it). Actually the worst vehicle was a 6-cylinder

1976 Ford Granada my mother used to own. Route 50 through WV, you'd be lucky to be doing 40MPH by the time you hit the top of the mountain...passing gear all the way up.

Todays vehicles seem to be somewhat better though, even the 4-cylinders.

Reply to
jcr

snipped-for-privacy@ihatespam.net (SgtSilicon) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.charter.net:

I always hit it hard, last car I bought used, I hammered it with the owner in the passenger seat. After all it is a test drive...

Reply to
Ript

Reply to
SgtSilicon