Toyota blames costs, not UAW, for NUMMI pullout

Page 4 of 8
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 08:05:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

LOL! I concede!
wrote in message

I probably installed custom car stereos in at least 50 of them back in the day. They were extremely popular in some parts of the country.
That is one Jap car one sees on occasion, as well as a RX7, but even they are rare. The fact is Jap cars of the day rusted away and parts are expensive IF you can find parts.
The type of buyer that buy Jap cars are not the type to keep them, anymore they would keep their refrigerator or washing machine.
wrote in message

That would require comprehension on Mike's part. Something that is not in evidence.
Jeff

edspyhill01 wrote:

Mike wrote:

AND those cars, despite their faults, were still the best in the world.
Mike wrote:

Has been or had been?

Do you think GM's market share shrunk from 50% to 25% (before bankruptcy) because so many people stayed loyal to GM? Or did that happen because GM started making cars that looked like furniture and had to be sold at lower prices than Japanese products? I'm sure you remember when the situation was just the opposite, when the Japanese couldn't sell cars in the US except at lower prices than what the Big Three charged.
Lower market share of an ever growing market, you mean. The fact is GM was selling more vehicles at 25%, when the market was at 19,000,000 than the back when they had nearly 50% of the market, dummy.

First, there is no need for name-calling. Not even kids on my soccer team do that. OF course, being in first and second grade, they are smarter than Mike.
Second, the market is not "ever growing." The market has been shrinking each year since 2006.
Further, if GM cars are so great, there is no reason why they should have a smaller market share, unless they can't keep up with demand. Yet, with all the plant closings, that is hardly the case.
Jeff

First, there is no need for name-calling. Not even kids on my soccer team do that. OF course, being in first and second grade, they are smarter than Mike.
Second, the market is not "ever growing." The market has been shrinking each year since 2006.
Further, if GM cars are so great, there is no reason why they should have a smaller market share, unless they can't keep up with demand. Yet, with all the plant closings, that is hardly the case.
Jeff ================================================ Be serious Jeff. Yes, Mike is an idiot, but in this case, he is right. Regardless of market share, GM still sells more vehicles then *any* other auto maker in the USA. GM also sells more vehicles now with its small market share, then it did when it had almost half of the market years ago. As for "greatness", some of you ToyoNuts think Toyota builds vehicles directly from God, so tell me, why don't they have the highest market share in the USA, and why don't they sell more vehicles then GM?

First, I don't think Toyota builds cars directly from God.
Second, Toyota sold twice as many cars in 1978 (it highest selling year ever) than last year. In fact, the last time GM had a year with as few sales as last year was 1959. So, no, GM did not sell more cars per year recently compared with the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20090601/ANA01/905279962
Jeff

First, I don't think Toyota builds cars directly from God.
Second, Toyota sold twice as many cars in 1978 (it highest selling year ever) than last year. In fact, the last time GM had a year with as few sales as last year was 1959. So, no, GM did not sell more cars per year recently compared with the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20090601/ANA01/905279962
Jeff ============================================ GM sells more vehicles in the USA *now* then any other manufacturer, that is my point.

You also said, "GM also sells more vehicles now with its small market share, then it did when it had almost half of the market years ago."
GM sold fewer cars last year than any other year since before man has been going into space. I was pointing out that GM is selling fewer cars, despite the larger total size of the market.
Jeff

Crappy stereos and too much road noise in the cabin.

One reason why GM and Toyota chose to make the joint venture in Freemont is that GM had an idle plant there. The plant was first opened by GM in 1964 and was closed in 1982 by GM. Then GM and Toyota opened the plant as NUMMI in 1984.
It does have the advantage that it can get parts from overseas as well as ship cars to Japan, like the Toyota Voltz, the right-hand drive version of the Pontiac Vibe.

I find your wish that anyone be sidelined repulsive.
Jeff
wrote in message

One reason why GM and Toyota chose to make the joint venture in Freemont is that GM had an idle plant there. The plant was first opened by GM in 1964 and was closed in 1982 by GM. Then GM and Toyota opened the plant as NUMMI in 1984.
It does have the advantage that it can get parts from overseas as well as ship cars to Japan, like the Toyota Voltz, the right-hand drive version of the Pontiac Vibe.

I find your wish that anyone be sidelined repulsive.
Jeff ========================
Considering what they contributed to in terms of wasted years, wasted productivity and wasted resources, I must respectfully disagree. All three of those "wasteds" are characteristics of the American auto industry, and the sidelined individuals wholeheartedly supported the waste.
wrote in message

Japs Koreans and china started out making junk. and caused other companys to cut costs to keep up, but in the last 20 years most car manufactures make good cars. all the surveys show they are pretty equal, i know you will find examples of bad cars by gm. but look beyond you nose and you will see just a many problems with any of the others. or are you just too anti american to see it
wrote in message

Thanks for the demo. You're illustrating exactly the kind of fossil I referred to earlier.
Think about products other than cars. Is there another product you'd continue buying even if the last manufacturer sold you a shitty one?
How about cameras? Washing machines? Televisions? Water heaters? Or are you such a sap that you'll keep getting boned in the ass just to buy American?
wrote in message

or a sap thats OK i know what i am but i think you have a better chance of getting boned in the ass than i do. The worst products i have purchased , refrigerator made in Korea, camara, Japan TVs Korea ,years ago anything made in japan. People who compare 20 and 30 years old products to todays are only fooling themselves.
wrote in message

Tell me all about your American made camera. Brand, model, etc.
wrote in message

People like you have allowed most of our manufacturing to move over seas. I hope you feel good when your grand children can't even work at McDonald's because no one will be able to afford it.