Toyota blames costs, not UAW, for NUMMI pullout

Page 6 of 8

That is a fair challenge..... I bought two Amana appliances a few years ago, a freezer and matching refrigerator, at something over $3000. They were crap. The compressors went out on both of them, under warranty. They they went out after warranty.
When we moved into this house, there was a big find Amana refrigerator. Less than a year later, the compressor went out.
Now, do you think I would buy another Amana? Not on your life. Even if I got the only three lemons they ever made, enough is enough.
wrote in message

Well, there ya go. Your decision is just common sense. And yet, when it comes to JUST ONE PRODUCT CATEGORY, **automobiles**, many people will remain loyal to the same manufacturers even after those manufacturers have proven themselves incompetent or worse.
I wonder what it is about automobiles that makes people behave this way.
If what you believe is true why does one see so many Toyotas and other Jap cars and trucks being traded on domestic brands?
wrote in message

Why are so many domestic cars and trucks traded in on import brands?
Jeff

DUH, for the same reason, they no longer wanted the one they traded.
wrote in message

Mike wrote:

Reduction in income sometimes requires a reduction in standards.
wrote in message

Seeing how you are spewing from the Toyota group, I will assume you own one. Tell me, if your Toyota were to turn to shit, would you give up on the entire brand for the next 30 years?
wrote in message

Absolutely, if I felt certain that the problem was due to something inherent in Toyota's corporate culture, as opposed to an isolated problem with one vehicle (mine) or one model.
wrote in message

Sorry, but I have to call bullshit here. Take a look at Toyota's recall list, then get back to me.
wrote in message

Four Toyotas later, I've never had a STUPID PROBLEM which made it obvious that my car was made on a Friday by angry union workers. Yes, there were recalls, but all manufacturers have those.
wrote in message

I, and many others, say the same of our GM cars.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Many people have fond memories of the car in which they lost their virginity, but nothing like that happens with major appliances, except when a washing machine has a balance problem.

Same misty-eyed memories which also keep certain political unrealities alive, in other words.
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 09:00:03 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Not any more. Kennedy's dead.

So is Ray-gun.
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 01:32:38 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Ronaldus Maximus only had 8 years, and used them to the best of his ability.
The Massachusetts Murderer occupied a chair 40 years too long.
Should have gotten a 'chair' alright, but Mass did away with it in 1963.
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 05:39:57 -0700, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

And, boy, is that FUN!!! ;p

I have an Amana, it's lasted 11 years so far. I expect it to last another 20.

I have an Amana, it's lasted 11 years so far. I expect it to last another 20.
I would hope that it does. Eleven years is not so bad. I have been led to believe that compressors are now made by just a few suppliers, and they are not always very reliable over the long haul.
Air conditioning man told me a similar story not long ago. Gone are the days, if they ever existed, that you could buy a Friedrich and expect a long and trouble free life.
FIL had to replace his old Carrier a few months ago. The new unit ran him $5000. (Nothing special, no new parts, no duct work). Sister in Dallas had one replaced a month or two later and it was $7500.. Now, is this poor shopping, or is it due to the fact that Texas laws protect the access to these units to state licensed AC people? (The last time I priced a boxed central unit it was $1800. The installation doesnt require a rocket scientist.)
Sorry to go so far OT.
While it is true that Toyota assembles vehicles in the US of mostly imported parts and materials. That is only true of Toyotas NON Union plants, that is not the case for vehicles made at in the California plant!
The Union contract there requires that ALL vehicles assembled there, both GM and Toyota, must contain 70% American made parts and materials.