Toyota blames costs, not UAW, for NUMMI pullout

Has been or had been?

Do you think GM's market share shrunk from 50% to 25% (before bankruptcy) because so many people stayed loyal to GM? Or did that happen because GM started making cars that looked like furniture and had to be sold at lower prices than Japanese products? I'm sure you remember when the situation was just the opposite, when the Japanese couldn't sell cars in the US except at lower prices than what the Big Three charged.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Mike wrote:

AND those cars, despite their faults, were still the best in the world.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Personally, I prefer locally made Intel microprocessors and can hardly wait for Intel to start producing 32nm CPUs with 2.5 billion transistors apiece. BTW, Intel is one of the few companies that makes products in the US that are labelled as being from another country, which is the opposite practice of many other American firms.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Many people have fond memories of the car in which they lost their virginity, but nothing like that happens with major appliances, except when a washing machine has a balance problem.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Reduction in income sometimes requires a reduction in standards.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Same misty-eyed memories which also keep certain political unrealities alive, in other words.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You are full of shit. If you could think of any besides the Z cars, you'd have named them. If you think Japan makes exciting cars, you must be a real ball of fire.

Reply to
Dave

And, boy, is that FUN!!! ;p

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not any more. Kennedy's dead.

Reply to
Hachiroku

No. This is:

These are cool:

These are unique:

These are Fast and Furious:

And these handle extremely well:

Hachiroku

So is Ray-gun.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

But we were talking cars that lasted from the 60's and 70's. Not much from Japan was exciting then.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ronaldus Maximus only had 8 years, and used them to the best of his ability.

The Massachusetts Murderer occupied a chair 40 years too long.

Should have gotten a 'chair' alright, but Mass did away with it in 1963.

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! I concede!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Lower market share of an ever growing market, you mean. The fact is GM was selling more vehicles at 25%, when the market was at 19,000,000 than the back when they had nearly 50% of the market, dummy.

Reply to
Mike

I guess that means you too did not try to find the source of the funding for the "jobs bank," set up by Detroit automakers and Delphi Corp. as part of an extraordinary job security agreement with the United Auto Workers union?

The fact that the parties eliminated the job bank has nothing to do with the facts as stated in my post.

Old man, the jobs bank was suspended. Try to keep up.

Reply to
Mike

What part of "Look at ANY survey of buyers and they will reveal they all make around 2% that are not up the manufacturers build quality, that is why they ALL offer a warranty even Rolls Royce," did you not understand? Do a search and see for yourself, WBMA

Where do you get your 2% figure? What does that mean? 2% of vehicles have any problems? 2% of vehicles have a problem that is severe enough to cause it to be returned under the lemon law? Only 2% of your brain is working?

Jef

Reply to
Mike

You believe what you read in the NYT? LOL

Where, old man, do you get your statistics?

In 2007, 16.15 million light vehicles were sold in the US, according to the NY Times. That was down from 16.58 milllion in 2006.

If you can't get the basic statistics right, why should be believe anything else you say?

Jeff

Reply to
Mike

Yeah. Besides, their sales figures come directly from the auto makers.

So are you saying the automakers don't know how many vehicles they sell?

Bottom line is that you made a claim that is easily to verify about the sales of cars, I verified and found that not only did you get the number wrong (16 million is not close to 19 million), but you also got the peak year for US car sales wrong (2006 had more sales than 2007).

You can't be trusted with your facts.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That the job bank was eliminated was not a minor detail. One is supposedly so intune with the auto industry would know this.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff