Toyota blames costs, not UAW, for NUMMI pullout

Page 7 of 8  

Actually, it assembles vehicles in the US with mostly US materials. All the car makers who make cars in the US use parts from the US and from outside the US. In the case of Toyota,

You might want to remind NUMMI and UAW about this. Both the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Corrolla have less than 70% US content. Toyota imports Corrollas from Japan, which explains the lower number. However, GM didn't.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Traffic%20Injury%20Control/Articles/Associated%20Files/AALA/AALA2009a.pdf
An alternative explanation is that you made up the contract or don't know what you're talking about.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Actually, it assembles vehicles in the US with mostly US materials. All the car makers who make cars in the US use parts from the US and from outside the US. In the case of Toyota,

You might want to remind NUMMI and UAW about this. Both the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Corrolla have less than 70% US content. Toyota imports Corrollas from Japan, which explains the lower number. However, GM didn't.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Traffic%20Injury%20Control/Articles/Associated%20Files/AALA/AALA2009a.pdf
An alternative explanation is that you made up the contract or don't know what you're talking about.
Jeff
============== Mike is drinking again. Watch his writing deteriorate over the next few hours.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:
<....>

Sadly, I think you're mistaken. This appears to be his baseline. However, what you say makes sense.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What part of "must contain 70% American made parts and MATERIALS," did you not understand?
The cars made in California for example used steel made in the US at the Burns Harbor plant owned by Bethlehem Steel, now MITTAL. All other Toyota plants use Nippon Steel, dummy.
wrote:

Actually, it assembles vehicles in the US with mostly US materials. All the car makers who make cars in the US use parts from the US and from outside the US. In the case of Toyota,

You might want to remind NUMMI and UAW about this. Both the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Corrolla have less than 70% US content. Toyota imports Corrollas from Japan, which explains the lower number. However, GM didn't.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Traffic%20Injury%20Control/Articles/Associated%20Files/AALA/AALA2009a.pdf
An alternative explanation is that you made up the contract or don't know what you're talking about.
Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Traffic%20Injury%20Control/Articles/Associated%20Files/AALA/AALA2009a.pdf .......>
worked with tooling for 35 years i was not impressed with the jap tooling. I also worked on some of the tooling in a plant that did the aftermarket service work for NUMMI. I think the US tooling was better made and ran smoother, but we also made our tooling for higher volume.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What part of "must contain 70% American made parts and MATERIALS," did YOU not understand?
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I understood what you said clearly. However, appartently GM and the unions didn't, because they make cars with less than 70% US content. Perhaps you could cite evidence that these contracts exist. Because I don't think you have a clue about what you're talking.
Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:33:26 -0400, C. E. White wrote:

But union wages and benefits are a large portion of the excessive labor costs. My wife's uncle is UAW and the stories he told . . . deliberate, abusive waste totally because of UAW contracts.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You mean the Union Contracts that included "abusive waste" that Toyota signed with the UAW?
The only "power" a Union has over a manufacturer is to require it to abide by their contract.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Right and their contract can be expensive and full of inefficiency.
So that's quite a power they have.
5,000 more union goons out of work.
They remind me of those goon like characters in LOTR.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Toyota didn't sign contracts with the UAW. NUMMI did.

And to agree to a contract.
Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Does that mean you did not know Toyota was a partner in the NUMMI contract? LOL

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Did you literally laugh out loud when you typed that?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 14:02:56 -0400, Mike wrote:

It is abusive when UAW workers push their benefits to the limit, when workers clock in, slip out the back fence, spend the day at the bar, return to clock out, and go home, without doing any work, and the union endorses this.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I assume you can provide proof of what you claim. Or are you just talking out your ass, again?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Actually, this sort of thing was in the news several years ago. Not "going home", but Ford paid workers to sit around doing nothing on company property, in case someone called in sick.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

How the hell is that the same thing? If Ford wants to pay people to sit around and do nothing, that is there business. Michael is claiming UAW workers are clocking in, spending the day at the bars (outside the factory), then clocking out...and he's wrong.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Mike Dobony has a black paint brush that he likes to paint people with. He likes to portray evil in things he speaks about. You have to take that into consideration when reading his posts.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thanks Mike, I'll keep that in mind.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
That is SOP in assembly line manufacturing. They schedule extra assembly line workers for the guy that goes to eat, take a poop, gets sick, has an emergency at home, of just decides to home, is sent home for NOT doing his job or not doing it PROPERLY. After all it is an assembly LINE, that costs the company thousands of dollar when if stops running!

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.