Toyota Deals the Final Blow to GM and Ford with New Engine...

Page 1 of 2
Toyota Deals the Final Blow to GM and Ford with New Engine block manufacturing technique that will cut each engine cost by $1000. Toyota plans to transfer reduced cost to customer. WWII soon to come to a true end
when Toyota places the nails in the coffin.
and why would someone that goes to a newsgroup for ford trucks give a flying rats ass about this post by a rectal orifice about a piece of jap shit that will go into a jap shitbox?????

end

Cut engine cost by $1000?
I doubt that! Unless they've found a way to start with seeds.
you pay..DEAL with it!
The BallJoint Stud wrote:

I have not researched this new proclamation, but it doesn't meet the initial BS test. I don't think there's $1,000 in machining cost there to be saved.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060222.RTOYOTA22/TPSto ry/TPBusiness/
and
http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id 8353
The new engine technology is now in use not only at Bodine, which Toyota bought in 1990, but also at foundries in Japan and China.
*****Partly as a result,**** the cost of building an engine for the redesigned Camry that was scheduled to go on sale in March will be about $1,000, half the cost of an engine for the previous generation of Camrys, says Gary Convis, executive vice president for North American manufacturing.
I'm still a sceptic...
you pay..DEAL with it!

Engineering excellence at work. Now if GM could only get off their ass..... . Read the links and weep.

Slave labor?

end
Care to cite a reference? Could it be http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid 000103&sid=aTkufGZiqHOs&refer=us ? This is a ridiculous article, apparently written by the Toyota PR firm.
The total manufacturing cost for many engines is under $1000, so this seems like a total BS story. I can only assume that the old Camry engine is horrendously expensive, since saving $1000 only reduces the cost by 50%. At $1000 the "new" Camry V-6 still costs more to build than a Buick 3.8L or a Ford 4.6L. So instead of highlighting Toyota's efficiency, it point out how inefficient the company actually is.
You might want to look at this old Wall Street Journal Story from 1996 - http://www.rbbi.com/folders/engn/toyota.htm . Back then Toyota was going to reduce the cost to produce an engine from $600 to $400. Seem like they must have really gone down hill if they are now going to save $1000 to manufacture an engine, when they claimed they could build them for $400 in 1996.
You need to watch Toyota, they cut corners in subtle ways that end up cost the Customer many extra dollars down the road. As incredible as it seems, many Toyota engines don't use hydraulic valve lifters and require very expensive routine valve clearance adjustments. This probably saves Toyota $50 when they build the engine and costs the Customer hundreds when they have the valve clearances inspected and adjusted (if they have it checked at all).
Ed

?
seems
At
how
must
Do you read the links you post? This is certainly apples and oranges. That was the engine for a "dirt-cheap" car to be introduced in Asia. Not very likely to be the same thing as the motor for a Camry.

at
The proof's in the pudding. Toyota is selling a very nice car at prices competitive with GM and Ford offerings and MAKING MONEY doing it.

So the current Camry engine cost FOUR times as much as a 1994 four cylinder? It is inconceivable that that the third rate Camry V-6 costs $2000 to build. This whole "saving $1000" claim is some sort of silly Toyota PR campaigned designed to polish the Toyota image. What they should have reported is something along the lines of "Toyota finally get a grip on excessive engine costs." It reminds me of managers who inflate their departmental budgets and then, when pushed, announce significant cost savings so that they can look like heros.

If you think third rate designs are "very nice vehicles" then I Toyota is your brand. Toyota charges thousands more for comparable vehicles while paying far less in salray and benefits to their workforce. As far as I can tell the whole Toyota sucess story is based on convincing people that they should pay more for less.
Ed

Better engineering and better designs, on the whole, than GM can manage. Toyota is making money and selling a lot of vehicles and keeps gaining market share while GM keeps on its downhill slide because of ongoing poor decisions and engineering. It did not have to be that way but GM took the cheap and greedy short term grab road.

very
cylinder?
build.
engine
and
"Third rate Camry V-6?" Hah! GM wishes it was so. My '01 Sienna has one of those engines in it. I test-drove the competing Chevy and Chrysler offerings. Compared to the Sienna, they're both dogs.

seems,
Toyota
they
checked
Yeah, convincing poor bastards like me to buy their cars by pricing them competitively, delivering lots of features and offering excellent reliability. The excellent performance, matching-or-better gas mileage and quiet cabin were all just irrelevant bonuses.
C. E. White wrote:

Calling a Toyota V-6 third rate must make the GM 3.4/3.5 l engine something like 10th rate!
John

Toyota
true
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid 000103&sid=aTkufGZiqHOs&refer=us
50%.
in
That
cost
seems,
Toyota
checked
Yeh Americans are stupid and will buy anything especially if its somebody elses stuff just because other people have colder ice.

http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Yes it's amazing how many still buy crap vehicles, consuming too much fuel and which they think are American, yet many are imported. See GM's bottom end junk cars imported from Korea.
We will have to waitand see what shaving $1000 off the cost of the engine has in store for the customer 40,000 miles down the road. GM shaaved some cost & weight off the 3800 by installing a plastic intake manifold's and the results were not well received by car owners.
Time Will Tell.
Harryface 05 Park Avenue 34,255 91 Bonneville LE 306,010
Most MEFI engine today use a composite intake manifold, since generally the only thing distributed is air, not a fuel mixture.
mike hunt

Doesn't really say what this new "technique" is. Aluminum blocks are not new.Neither is magnesium, ever been to a VW block burning party at the Bonneville salt flats???:-) IMO the "new" technique _could_ be the same GM has used for the last several years on their new in-lines, namely lost foam investment casting.............
http://www.castmetalsfederation.com/process.asp?procid=3&name=Lost%20Foam
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_010306.htm
Stuuder
The BallJoint Stud wrote:

Stuuder wrote:

just out of curiousity, how hard is it to get them to flame up?
883 degrees F