Toyota, GM, and Ford differences

Page 2 of 12
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I agree. They intentionally pursued the low-cost, mediocre-car strategy, ceding the "best of class" status to cars like the Accord.
Realto Margarino wrote:

Hehe.
Snap!
Razz,
I guess I'm another one of those idiots because I know for a fact that Toyota's don't experience the major problems US cars do. It's the only one I've not had trouble with. I have a friend who owns a transmission business and I've asked him just how many Toyota transmissions he works on. His answer---none, but plenty of Fords, GM's, etc. Facts are Facts and the foreign cars are built better, but then again, I'm just one of those american idiots, but a proud one !!!!
razz wrote:

That may be your opinion but certainly not what we saw in my former fleet service business. We serviced thousands of vehicles monthly in our shops locate in six eastern states. No particular brand stands out from the others in dependability. We serviced nearly every brand of vehicle. Corporate fleets generally keep the vehicles they use, as tools in their business, for five years or 300K WOF because of federal corporate tax deprecation laws. We saw little difference among brands in terms of longevity when the vehicles were given the proper maintenance such as we provided. The only real difference among brands is style and the price of accusation, insurance, maintenance and parts. Any vehicle one buys today, domestic or foreign, well easily last to 200K or more is given decent maintenance. As a consumer who keeps their vehicle till it dies, one should be more concerned about the price of the car and its parts than the need for them, since they all need to be repaired at some point. As to the chance of your friend seeing more of particular brand, is like asking someone in the Bronx Zoo if they see more pigeons or penguins. One must remember GM has five times as many vehicles on the road and Ford four times as many as any other brand. Since Toyota arrived in the US in 1958, the past few years is the only time it has sold more than 1,000,000 vehicles annually, while GM and Ford sold more than half of ALL of the up to 19,000,000 vehicles sold annually in the US over the same period. Even today GM and Ford sell more trucks alone than does Toyota, Lexus, and Scion sells cars and trucks combined today.
mike hunt

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

Every consider using paragraphs, "Mike". I for one never read those verbose messes you leave. Of course, I know it's all bullshit anyway, coming from you.
I do not think it is as much a problem of real quality "deficit" but more the rampant *perception* of bad quality from the buying public, along with GM management, union contract, etc...
No, wait, my venture is going back to the dealership yet again tomorrow for another problem with the ABS. It is GM bad quality after all!

Quality sells cars. Dodge was the main supplier to the military for trucks for many, many years (large and small trucks). I think the military just uses Hummers/trailers/other vehicles now. But, a Chevy freak friend of mine theorized that the military bought Dodges over Chevys/Fords just because Dodge underbid Ford/Chevy, so it was simply about cost, according to him. I doubt that. The price between a Dodge and Chevy was probably real close. My father was a sergeant/mechanic in the Army motor pool for 12 years (3 years in Vietnam) and was real impressed with Dodge's dependability over in Vietnam. To the point, where he mainly only drives Dodges/Plymouths, even now. He's old school. He likes simple, old rear wheel drive mopars with a slant 6 or 318ci and a TorqueFlite tranny -- the kind of car you can fix on the side of the road, with a piece of bailing wire. Also, besides the military, law enforcement and taxicab heavy duty use was always traditionally done by Chrysler products.
-
I quess you never heard of Hondas ongoing brake problems have you ;)
mike hunt

Or the tranny problems with the Honda Pilot/Acura MDX that cost over $7K to fix....
Lets face it many buyers believe the brand they buy is the best, and the rest are junk, that is why they buy what they buy and more buyers by GM vehicles than any other. Ford and Chrysler follow and Toyota and Honda are forth and firth. Toyota owners in particular love to disparage other brands for some reason, perhaps they want to justify to themselves why they paid so much more to buy a vehicle that is nor better or worse than the others. LOL
mike hunt

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

Almost no one does that, actually. Most settle for the best compromise that they can afford.

Idiot. That's not even close to being true. "Not the best choice for me" does not equal "junk".

You can't build a logical argument on such obviously false premises as you embarrassed yourself with above, cretin.
GM still sells a lot because of their large "old" customer base and their broad range of products.

Says the proven liar.
In my experience, all brands have their fanatics. Toyota owners are certainly no worse than others, especially in this foreign (to Toyota) country.

The facts say otherwise, "Mike", and you get that "so much more" back when you resell. LOL!
Mike Hunter wrote:

Actually GM, Ford, and Chrysler ("Chrysler is American!") owners are more likely to insult Toyotas, calling them "rice burners" and thinking Japan is still a Third World country. This is particularly common in areas where a high percentage of Pontiacs are on blocks in the front yard.
Go into the various NG and you will discover my observation is right on. Toyota owners are always bashing other brands, particularly domestics. You seldom hear that in other NG. I think Toyota owners are trying to justify to themselves why they paid way to much for a vehicle that in reality no better than any other. LOL
mike hunt

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

If only you weren't a proven idiot and liar, your words might carry some weight, "Mike".
Perhaps in you small world but not in the real world. Just look at what is cross posted in the GM and Ford NG from the Toyota NG. No questions about Ford or GM products just anti GM and Ford BS from screwballs like you. . ; )
mike hunt

seldom hear that in other NG. I think Toyota owners are trying to justify to themselves why they paid way to much for a vehicle that in reality no better than any other. LOL

Mike Hunter wrote:

I have, and you haven't. Maybe you think too much of yourself, just as you think too much of GM.

Do you really LOL that often?
You also can't explain why Toyota owners liked their cars even back when they were cheaper than domestics.
Back when they sold even fewer? I owned some of those Toyotas and I got rid of them because they were starting to rust. Get real
mike hunt

Oh, I see. You're a troll. You _like_ to annoy people. It makes you somehow significant to be somebody's pain in the ass, right?
PLONK
cordially, as always,
rm

Perhaps because they were much cheaper at a time when most people had much less disposable income. Same reason the air cooled VW Beetle gained popularity so fast.