Toyota Quality

Page 1 of 3
Once again, some you you guys out there who constantly slam GM by comparing the "quality" of Toyotas missed out and still ANOTHER major problem by the great and might company that can do no wrong, according
the the likes of CR and others:
Last month Toyota told owners of several million Toyota and Lexus products to yank out the driver's floor mat until they figure out how to keep it from potentially jamming the accelerator wide open.
Now Toyota is recalling 110,000 Tundra pickups from the 2000 to 2003 model years, starting with advice to yank down the undermounted spare and toss it in the bed until they figure out how to keep it from falling off and becoming a traffic hazard. It seems corrosion from road salt can affect the mount. More ominously, the same advisory says that corrosion can also affect the brake lines and lead to brake failure.
Toyota says it will begin notifying owners in December to come in to dealers for inspection and possible replacement of their truck's rear- frame crossmember, on which the tire support is mounted, and rear brake lines.
Toyota says the condition could affect owners in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin, West Virginia and the District of Columbia. For further information: 1-800-331-4331.
The beat goes on.
Recalls into the several MILLIONS by now.
These "quality" guys are certainly doing a bang up job, aren't they???
Recall more vechicles than they sell, and the number is climbing.
Almost daily.
And yet, GM is the one who makes "junk"?????
At this point, please feel free to tell the listnening audience how your 2007 Camry was so much better than the "81 Chevy Citation you once owned.
That really proves Toyota produces a better product than GM, doesn't it????????
jr92 wrote:

Gee, Toyota makes ONE mistake (albeit a fairly serious one), and you think that means that Toyotas are total crap?
I'm sure GM isn't perfect. I had a 1987 Buick LeSabre once that ended up having all kinds of engine problems after 15 years. I'd have expected it to last a little longer than that. But I always heard that many American cars in the 80s were crap, and I've heard they've gotten better since then. If you're a long-time GM loyalist, I'm sure you've patiently put up with some crappy products of theirs. I've heard Toyota's quality isn't what it used to be, but Toyota was once a leading car maker in terms of quality.

ONE MISTAKE???????????????
What rock have you been hiding under the past ten years???
The defects have forced Toyota to recall MILLIONS of vechices. At this point, int might be in the TENS of MILLIONS.
I've lost count at this point.
The problems are all across the board.
Sludge in the engines.
Hundreds of thousands of them. At least.
Acceratlors sticking open, causing serious crashes.
Rusting big time underneath the vechiles, causing serious satey issues.
The list goes on and on and on.
ONE MISTAKE??????????
Gimme a break!!!!!!!!!!!!

A fifteen year old Buick that had problems????????
Please tell me you have been sarcastic for this entire post!!

A fifteen year old Buick that had problems????????
Which engine did the '87 have? I had an '83 Olds and an '83 Buick with the 3.8 liter and both needed new engines at about 100,000 and both died again with another 50,000 on the crappy engine. My '91 Buick had the new 3800 and it was excellent after 14 years and 150,000 miles although at the time lots of other stuff was happening that you'd expect on a car that old. My 2001 has the newer version and while the engine is good, everything else started going to crap after only 2 years and 40,000 miles.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My '87 had the 3.8L V6 engine.

Many of them did not make 100k. The newer version 38000 is OK, but some had manifold gasket problems.
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 23:30:44 -0500, Ed Pawlowski fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Speaking of Toyota Quality...
http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/money/times-toyota-throttle-acceleration - problems-20091128
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota - throttle29-2009nov29,0,5254584.story
Motorists, experts say throttles, not floor mats, to blame for sudden acceleration in Toyota, Lexus models Amid widening concern over acceleration events, Toyota has cited 'floor mat entrapment.' But reports point to another potential cause: the electronic throttles that have replaced mechanical systems.
(I was wondering how a floor mat - stuck *UNDER* a gas pedal could cause it to open. It would - in fact - close.)
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com

If you were to look at one carefully, you would see how this could happen. It is VERY possible, if you have aftermarket or poorly fitted floormats. But, this may not be the total answer.
Let's wait until the total story is told. I am convinced our two Toyotas are safe. If I find differently, I will be out for blood too, but up to now that has not been the case.
Correct assessment. Also Toyota is not going to spend $ millions fixing the wrong problem (floor mats instead of throttle bodies). Toyota wants this fixed as much as anybody if there really is a design problem.
Vito
wrote in message

If one practices placing the shift lever in neutral and turning the key to off, they should be fine.
wrote in message

Hi!

I don't care about their quality. I wish they'd quit blaring their advertising on the radio in my CHEVY. Not going to buy one, not interested in the slightest, don't care that it's snowing and blowing and that this seemingly means it is time for Toyotathon. Go away.

I just don't like this idea at all. Call me silly, but...
Well, let's see. The computer responds to the ignition switch and its positioning. It decides what to do when the accelerator is pressed and breaks any direct connection you have. I know these sorts of things don't fail often, but I don't like the possibility of a "turn off now, dammit" request being ignored when all other means of stopping have failed.
I guess my unwillingness to drive a vehicle with an electronic throttle is going to limit my choices.

It might curl up in the cold. I had some cheap plastic mats that would do this in my S-10. So one night I went to stamp down (and yes, I probably knew better) a raised up spot in the mat. It ended up pushing the gas pedal down so hard that I lit up the tires right there in the grocery store parking lot.
William
William R. Walsh wrote:

It sounds like you've got some anger issues, particularly toward Toyota, for whatever reason. And just because you're driving one particular brand of car, that means that you shouldn't have to listen to ads for other brands of cars while in your car?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Mine had 122k miles on it when I got it. I guess it was already past its point of no return. :)

The 87's were of a different series and didnt have the problems that the Series II had

GM has made junk for decades. Maybe they are improving now. Time will tell.

Here is a link to the apparent story, as of this morning. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/6738458.html
It would appear Toyota is still claiming the problem is aftermarket floormats, but are redesigning the accelerator pedal to try to foolproof the system. Fools always manage to find a way to bollix any safety system.
But the question is "Was this a quality issue?". As far as it goes right now, I would have to say the answer is "No".
GM knows how to stonewall quality issues. Look at how many years they made the 3800 vII engine with the substandard plenums.
jr92 wrote:

<snip>
With Toyota quality is generally the norm whereas at GM it is the exception. When GM rises to that level, IF it ever does, then it will be time to take another look at GM. Enjoy your Dexcool and gaskets and...

Not so at all.
In the year 2009, Toyota makes a lot of vechicles that have a LOT of problems.
Just like they did in 2008.
And 2007.
And 2006.
Check it out.
Recalled more vehicles than they sold during this period.
GM simply made a better product during this time.
But reality dont matter in todays world.
Only perception counts.
jr92 wrote:

Trust a GM lifer to be blind. Your bad.
The gasket problems, that every manufacture experienced including Toyota, was not the result of anything GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota or Honda did, it was what the gasket manufactures were forced to do.
Gasket failures were the direct result of the governments decision to ban the use of asbestos, without allowing the gasket manufactures sufficient time you develop replacement materials. Auto manufactures do not make gasket, gasket manufactures make gaskets, dummy.