Toyota set to surpass GM in 2007

Page 1 of 3
ft.com
"By Michiyo Nakamoto in Tokyo
Published: December 22 2006 05:47 | Last updated: December 22 2006 11:00
Toyota is poised to surpass General Motors as the world's largest
automaker next year with plans unveiled on Friday to produce a record 9.42m vehicles.
The Japanese carmaker's leap to the top of the industry is a landmark event that coincides with its 70th anniversary. GM, which has suffered from weak demand in its home market, does not disclose production forecasts but is expected to have produced about 9.17m vehicles this year."

So BLOW me.
Gosi wrote:

Instead of developing more efficient cars and trucks GM elected to cry about "unfair burden". Unfair burden indeed, no wonder Detroit has fallen so very far behind Toyota/Honda/Nissan, etc. Apparently it is easier for Detroit to whine, cry and bitch than innovate. GM is headed straight down the toilet.
GM slams possible fuel economy changes http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/26/news/companies/gm_fuel.reut/index.htm
Instead of trolling here why don't you go to Japan and work for one tenth of what you are making here.

Woody, you may not like the message, but you must consider that shooting the messenger is a little dumb.
This is a GM newsgroup. News, whether you like the impact or not, should be open to discussion.
Which GM brand do you own?
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

Buick, Cavalier, VEGA-all three had bad problems and the dealer response was poor. Revenge is sweet, they dealt nastily with me and now it is payback time.
I doubt if GM still makes those you owned back then.. The Toyotas and Hondas of old were not so great, as I recall. Why come into a NG to degrade a brand you owned years ago? How can one compare what is on the market today with what was sold even ten years ago. What will you buy when you import breaks down and you have to pay a fortune for parts? My Lexus needed a power steering pump and it cost $1,500 LOL
mike

When the messenger is a known troll, shooting is quite acceptable.
Dave

This is a good point. Seems that the coffee aroma has fianlly arrived. Just in, Toyota has broken ground for a massive plant just across the border into Canada. They are planning a major kill job against the American Auto Mfg's and it may be too late for any kind of reach around.
Of course GM and Ford only know to do one thing in hard times and that downsize with massive layoff's. What a pitiful bunch...
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-1, 12/24/2006

Depends on what the messenger is up too. This one, isn't doing this to 'enlighten' people. He is trying to piss people off. That is the definition of a Troll.

That's the funny thing. This is Toyota news, yet it was posted to a GM newsgroup, and *not* to the Toyota newsgroup. Think about it.
80 Knight wrote:

The point of the post was that GM is about to be surpassed by Toyota due to GM stupidity. If that news about GM's demise isn't pertinent then nothing is. GM news about GM problems. GM newsgroup.

So, if I don't like the TV show "Survivor" and it is about to be taken over by "Meduim", then I should go to the "Survivor" newsgroup and post that? Wrong. If you don't like GM, then don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

You are a better man that that, 80 Knight...
If you dont like the way GM is treating you, you use every avenue to tell them what is wrong... And I have done this, including contacting GM corporate.
In my personal life, if I dont like what one of my sons is doing, I tell him ...straight out. I cant make him change, but I can use every avenue to get him to listen.
Confrontation does not have to be evil or violent...It is a normal process in redirecting efforts gone wrong.
GM has increased the warranty terms.. That is a positive step, although it doesnt help me with the expenses I have already shouldered for shitteaux quality and piss poor support.
I am open to people who admit that they need to improve. What I cant stomach is a company, or its people, who try to hide their mistakes. Get some backbone, GM, belly up to the problem, and become a supplier of products that people will be satisfied to buy.
Regardless or Mi Kunts rantings, even though GM still sells a lot of iron, a lot of consumers are NOT happy.

That's the thing though. Do you honestly think anyone high-up in GM reads a newsgroup?

That is true. However, would yelling at your wife about your son's behavior help your son at all? Not really. You need to go to the source. This newsgroup is not watched by GM.

Agreed, but there is a difference between a friendly argument and people who's only purpose in posting here is to annoy GM owners.

And you have a right to be pissed, and I can respect that. However, like I said above, GM doesn't read this newsgroup, so how is bashing the company helping?

I have family members who work at GM dealership's, and they will be the first to admit that sometimes GM makes mistakes. So does Toyota, Honda and Hyundai. This group used to be a nice place to come for help with a GM car, or to discuss GM cars. Now, it's turning into a GM bashing group, and I personally don't think that is right. If you don't like GM, that is your opinion, and you have a right to have it, but bashing the company isn't going to help.

Mike is a moron. I think that's safe to say. As for people not being happy, from what I have heard of people on this group, no, some aren't. However, there are also a lot of people who are. I for one have owned 9 GM vehicles. All over 6 years old (the oldest was 18 years old), and all with over 200,000 KM's (except for the 18 year old car. It only had 86,404), and I loved each and every one. I had a problem here and there, but usually regular maintenance.
80 Knight wrote:

outlets), they're much bigger fools than even I thought.
wrote in message news:XtednY0-

Give me a break. GM doesn't keep tabs on newsgroups. Neither does Toyota, or any of the rest of them. Why would they?

Why wouldn't they ? They can gain a lot of knowledge about what people think about GM, what GM cars do and don' t do and what their customers feel about the cars. I'd say it is a very important resource if they are really concerned about fixing the company.
I also participate in a woodworking newsgroup. I do know that at least four manufacturers and another two or three distributors of woodworking products and machines monitor the group. They find it a very valuable source of information. They are also, coincidently, profitable companies with a high satisfaction rating from their customers. GM could learn from them.
If GM management does not take a peek here, they truly are idiots that do not care about their customers.
If I started a newsgroup called 80 Knight, would you read it?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

They probably do have people monitoring the NG as well as any enthusiast sites that may exist, but they probably do not participate for liability reasons (i.e. if their rep offered technical advice while just trying to be helpful GM could be on the hook for damages incurred if the OP hurt himself attempting to follow the well-intentioned advice.)
I've heard of mfgrs. monitoring NG's, fora, and even showing up at dragstrips for more nefarious purposes, like cancelling the warranties of people who raced their new vehicles, most notably one Japanese mfgr. with a performance image yet a reputation for high warranty claims and fairly terrible reliability/durability (bet you can't guess which one I'm talking about)
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Well - that is the standard line when people try to suggest that executives should monitor usenet. But - what that fails to acknowledge is that...
1) Those executives already know what is being said in groups like this. There's nothing new and revealing in the postings and diatribes of usenet.
2) Good, bad, or otherwise, they aren't going to change things simply because of the opinions found in a newsgroup. In many cases things are just too complex for that kind of change, and in way too many cases the problems came into being because of a management mindset that just didn't care. How is a newsgroup going to change that? It's not. That change has to come from the heart of the company.
3) There is more baseless bitching and unfounded misinformation floating around the electron pool of usenet than there is valuable information. There are a lot better sources of good information and feedback.

Yeah, but the only ones you really see involved are the smaller ones. Those companies have a vested intererst in the wreck because the revenue stream from the participants is significant to them. It's more of a specialty area. Robin cares because there's probably 20 folks there who will buy from him no matter what he sells because it's a religious thing. For the bigger manufacturers and distributors, I doubt there is really as much monitoring and interest as might appear - other than if an employee happens to hang out at the wreck.

Like I said - what would they find out here that they don't already know? The bigger issue now is to get rid of the management that believes it can force its way on the consumer like AT&T used to and still get away with it. It's time for updated management thinking at the American manufacturers. It's time for a real appreciation for value and the business returns from satisfied customers. Don't need no usenet newsgroup for that.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net