Toyota set to surpass GM in 2007

ft.com

"By Michiyo Nakamoto in Tokyo

Published: December 22 2006 05:47 | Last updated: December 22 2006

11:00

Toyota is poised to surpass General Motors as the world's largest automaker next year with plans unveiled on Friday to produce a record

9.42m vehicles.

The Japanese carmaker's leap to the top of the industry is a landmark event that coincides with its 70th anniversary. GM, which has suffered from weak demand in its home market, does not disclose production forecasts but is expected to have produced about 9.17m vehicles this year."

Reply to
Gosi

So BLOW me.

Reply to
Scott

Instead of developing more efficient cars and trucks GM elected to cry about "unfair burden". Unfair burden indeed, no wonder Detroit has fallen so very far behind Toyota/Honda/Nissan, etc. Apparently it is easier for Detroit to whine, cry and bitch than innovate. GM is headed straight down the toilet.

GM slams possible fuel economy changes

gordian238

Instead of trolling here why don't you go to Japan and work for one tenth of what you are making here.

Reply to
Woody

Woody, you may not like the message, but you must consider that shooting the messenger is a little dumb.

This is a GM newsgroup. News, whether you like the impact or not, should be open to discussion.

Reply to
<HLS

Which GM brand do you own?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Buick, Cavalier, VEGA-all three had bad problems and the dealer response was poor. Revenge is sweet, they dealt nastily with me and now it is payback time.

Reply to
gordian238

When the messenger is a known troll, shooting is quite acceptable.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

wrote in news:6Pikh.17942$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

This is a good point. Seems that the coffee aroma has fianlly arrived. Just in, Toyota has broken ground for a massive plant just across the border into Canada. They are planning a major kill job against the American Auto Mfg's and it may be too late for any kind of reach around.

Of course GM and Ford only know to do one thing in hard times and that downsize with massive layoff's. What a pitiful bunch...

Reply to
Thagor

Depends on what the messenger is up too. This one, isn't doing this to 'enlighten' people. He is trying to piss people off. That is the definition of a Troll.

That's the funny thing. This is Toyota news, yet it was posted to a GM newsgroup, and *not* to the Toyota newsgroup. Think about it.

Reply to
80 Knight

The point of the post was that GM is about to be surpassed by Toyota due to GM stupidity. If that news about GM's demise isn't pertinent then nothing is. GM news about GM problems. GM newsgroup.

Reply to
gordian238

So, if I don't like the TV show "Survivor" and it is about to be taken over by "Meduim", then I should go to the "Survivor" newsgroup and post that? Wrong. If you don't like GM, then don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Reply to
80 Knight

I doubt if GM still makes those you owned back then.. The Toyotas and Hondas of old were not so great, as I recall. Why come into a NG to degrade a brand you owned years ago? How can one compare what is on the market today with what was sold even ten years ago. What will you buy when you import breaks down and you have to pay a fortune for parts? My Lexus needed a power steering pump and it cost $1,500 LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are a better man that that, 80 Knight...

If you dont like the way GM is treating you, you use every avenue to tell them what is wrong... And I have done this, including contacting GM corporate.

In my personal life, if I dont like what one of my sons is doing, I tell him ...straight out. I cant make him change, but I can use every avenue to get him to listen.

Confrontation does not have to be evil or violent...It is a normal process in redirecting efforts gone wrong.

GM has increased the warranty terms.. That is a positive step, although it doesnt help me with the expenses I have already shouldered for shitteaux quality and piss poor support.

I am open to people who admit that they need to improve. What I cant stomach is a company, or its people, who try to hide their mistakes. Get some backbone, GM, belly up to the problem, and become a supplier of products that people will be satisfied to buy.

Regardless or Mi Kunts rantings, even though GM still sells a lot of iron, a lot of consumers are NOT happy.

Reply to
<HLS

That's the thing though. Do you honestly think anyone high-up in GM reads a newsgroup?

That is true. However, would yelling at your wife about your son's behavior help your son at all? Not really. You need to go to the source. This newsgroup is not watched by GM.

Agreed, but there is a difference between a friendly argument and people who's only purpose in posting here is to annoy GM owners.

And you have a right to be pissed, and I can respect that. However, like I said above, GM doesn't read this newsgroup, so how is bashing the company helping?

I have family members who work at GM dealership's, and they will be the first to admit that sometimes GM makes mistakes. So does Toyota, Honda and Hyundai. This group used to be a nice place to come for help with a GM car, or to discuss GM cars. Now, it's turning into a GM bashing group, and I personally don't think that is right. If you don't like GM, that is your opinion, and you have a right to have it, but bashing the company isn't going to help.

Mike is a moron. I think that's safe to say. As for people not being happy, from what I have heard of people on this group, no, some aren't. However, there are also a lot of people who are. I for one have owned 9 GM vehicles. All over 6 years old (the oldest was 18 years old), and all with over

200,000 KM's (except for the 18 year old car. It only had 86,404), and I loved each and every one. I had a problem here and there, but usually regular maintenance.
Reply to
80 Knight

And that attitude, my friends, speaks volumes as to why GM is where they are. Eventually there is no one left to tell that to...except the person with the attitude standing all alone with nothing left to do but turn the lights out (assuming the electricity is still on). Geesh! "80 Knight" must work for GM Customer Service (based on my personal experience dealing with the Chevrolet customer service people, the MO sounds quite familiar!)

Reply to
jcr

If GM executives don't keep tabs on this newsgroup (and other customer outlets), they're much bigger fools than even I thought.

Reply to
jcr

Give me a break. GM doesn't keep tabs on newsgroups. Neither does Toyota, or any of the rest of them. Why would they?

Reply to
80 Knight

Well, since you had a bad experience with Chevy, everyone else must as well. Note the sarcasm in that line. If you don't like GM, that is fine with me, but the question is, why are you still here? Why be in a group where discussion surrounds something you dislike? It makes no sense, other then to piss off the group's population.

Reply to
80 Knight

Why wouldn't they ? They can gain a lot of knowledge about what people think about GM, what GM cars do and don' t do and what their customers feel about the cars. I'd say it is a very important resource if they are really concerned about fixing the company.

I also participate in a woodworking newsgroup. I do know that at least four manufacturers and another two or three distributors of woodworking products and machines monitor the group. They find it a very valuable source of information. They are also, coincidently, profitable companies with a high satisfaction rating from their customers. GM could learn from them.

If GM management does not take a peek here, they truly are idiots that do not care about their customers.

If I started a newsgroup called 80 Knight, would you read it?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski