Toyota trounces U.S. automakers in September sales

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=AUTO01

From the article:
GM sold 334,025 vehicles, 3.1 percent fewer than a year ago, but the nation's largest automaker attributed much of the drop to its plan to wean itself of low-profit fleet sales to rental companies.
Ford's increase to 237,664 vehicles was fueled largely by car sales, which rose 26.2 percent, while its truck sales fell 5.5 percent. The figures are for all Ford brands, including Jaguar, Volvo and Land Rover.
Toyota sold 222,950 vehicles in September. The company's car sales rose 18.4 percent, while truck sales soared 34.9 percent.
I guess a trouncing to some means coming in last place.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

Several ways to figure 'trouncing', I guess. We've been over this a lot of times. US figures are one thing, global are perhaps another.
Toyota is on the move...there is no doubt about that. And Ford and GM are distressed...no doubt about that either.
Len McAdams wrote:

The headline is rather misleading as it makes it sound like Toyota outsold the US brands in September, which isn't true. Toyota did have a huge sales growth rate, but GM and Ford both still outsold Toyota.
The headline could also have said: "Toyota Continues Aggressive Sales Growth by Taking Market Share From Nissan and Honda!"
John
And the Koreans continue to take share from the Japanese ;)
mike hunt

That is one of the best rebuttals I've seen yet, to all of this Go-Toyota stuff. Hats off to ya on this one Mike.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

With good reason. Kia still has a way to go but is getting better, but Hyundai is where Toyota used to be, it seems. Right now, the Sonata is 35% US parts and hopefully will increase in time.

Which reduces the Big 2+ share even more.