Toyota versus Chevy

Page 1 of 4
News flash: Toyota may eclipse Chevy as the best-selling *brand* in America today. The latest sales figures come out today.
This has never happened before. Toyota may beat Chevy
for the first time ever, as the best-selling Brand in America.
Today "Mom, Chevrolet, and apple pie" may become "Mom, Toyota, and apple pie" for the first time ever.

Wanna see how tough Toyota's are, if you scroll down you will see a Tacoma.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fgf/?n=northwood_tor_pics

dbu` wrote:

======= I love Chevy (that's what my dad mostly bought), but you gotta hand it to Toyota. They've done a yeoman's job.
The GM and Toyota figures will all be released at about 1:30 PM Eastern today--65 minutes away..
Cars with the Toyota brand name on the grill has been the number one selling "Brand" of cars for two years, but GM sell far more cars than Toyota or anyone else for that matter. It is just that they have more than on brand name on the grill.
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

======= Well, if you're right, then the commentators on the CNBC business channel were wrong last night. They said the Chevy brand still outsells the Toyota brand in the U.S., but just barely.
When we, instead, talk about Toyota overtaking GM, we're usually talking about world-wide sales, not U.S. alone.
Built_Well wrote:

=============== In the U.S., Toyota is about to claim the Number 2 spot, overtaking Ford. Toyota is already Number 2 when considering overall /world-wide/ sales.
....So I still believe the CNBC business commentators when they say Chevy still outsells Toyota in the U.S. Sorry, Mike :-)
You are free to believe whatever you chose but you might tell Toyota what you believe, they have been advertising that they are the number one car "brand" in the US for two years. LOL
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

======= Mike, you know I like you because you're a smart, Black Jew who does not ridicule Jesus like so many other Jews do. I'm being serious and respectful to you, here--not flippant.
But I have to disagree with you again.
We weren't talking about who the //number one *car* brand// in the U.S. is. We all know the Camry is the best-selling *car* in the U.S.A. So Toyota is not lying.
We're talking about the best-selling brand (period) for all vehicles: cars, trucks, SUVs...
And the number one brand is still Chevy, barely edging out the "Toyota" brand, so said the CNBC fellows whose credibility and reputations are on the line (hundreds of thousands or millions of viewers nationwide).
Now, the "Toyota" brand Sales Figure they're talking about probably does not include Scion and Lexus.
So Chevrolet still is the best-selling brand in America...barely.
Let's regroup. I never said Toyota was lying. While the press likes to point to monthly sales figures as reported to the US Department of Commerce, the industry looks at Model year sales and the total sales, year to date, from the past year. Toyota has been advertising the Camry as the best selling car in the US ever since they stopped selling the Solara as a separate brand and made it a model of the Camry. Toyota has been advertising "Toyota" as the best selling car "brand" in the US model, all of which is true. But Toyota is not the number one seller of cars in the US. GM sells more cars, and far more trucks than Toyota, but with different brand names on the grill. Camry, while it is the number one car, it is not the number one selling vehicle in the US. The Ford F150 is the best selling individual model in the US, and has been for 29 years, selling at a rate nearly double that of the Camry, in the US. The Silverado is number two, also at nearly double the Camry sales, and the Dodge Ram number three in sales, year to date. Camry is number four. The Ford "F Series" is the number one truck "brand" but again GM sell more trucks in the US but not under the same brand name. Nearly half of all the vehicles sold in the US are light trucks and GM sells more trucks alone than Toyota sells cars and trucks combined.
mike

Seems even GOD does not like Toyota trucks, not only American truck buyers LOL
mike

Well, my Pontiac dealer wants $400 to replace my radio as the solution to a burnt display lamp ($0.20 part) on my 2005 Montana.
I'll be buying a Toyota next time.
Built_Well wrote:

My Trooper II has backlight bulbs which are burned out. I tore into the radio thinking it will be a peice of cake. I never did find the bulbs. I suspect they are part of the display tube.

You need to call your nearest GM regional rep as soon as possible and explain what's going on. I bet if what you are saying is true and you explain that your local dealer is trying to charge you 400 dollars for a 20 cent part, and that you are considering buying a Toyota next time, he'll be more than glad to help you.
I phoned GM Canada. The lady on the phone, after hearing the details, explained that the van was out of warranty (distance, not months, as if that should affect a radio) and asked "what are you expecting GM to do"? I said that I just wanted a radio with a display that worked for the duration of my lease, and if I have to finish out my lease with a bum radio, they can forget calling me to ask if I'm ready to get into a new lease.
I subsequently shopped around and found that some radio shops advertise that they can fix GM radio display problems for as little as $50, so it appears that GM is too lazy to even set up something like that to keep a customer, so they can forget about me getting into a 3rd vehicle from them.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You are making the erroneous assumption that Toyota's never suffer from the same sort of display failure. The same people that will fix your GM Radio for $50 will fix your Toyota radio for $75.
http://www.carstereohelp.com/toyota.htm
Ed

News flash: You are a complete moron. You keep sending your money to the Japanese, I'm sure they are very grateful for it. But, when your job goes out of the country because of it, don't complain.
My car-buying history:
83 Tercel - no problems 85 Corolla - no problems 87 Celica - power antenna rusted/seized 93 Caravan - lots of A/C problems. Compressor and engine computer failed 98 Windstar - no problems 01 Montana - transmission blew up @ 16,000 km, needed new head gasket 05 Montana - multiple problems with radio
While the Ford was problem-free, the other big 3 all had major problems. Not so with my Toyotas.
If you want to save jobs in Detroit, stand behind what you build for at least 100,000 km, not the crappy 60,000 basic warranty.
80 Knight wrote:

Wow. I am impressed. You owned 2 Toyota's with absolutely no problems. Was the car touched by God? Then, you have one GM that had a bad transmission and head gasket at 16,000K. That was covered under the warranty, yes? Oh, and your second GM had multiple radio problems. Wow, how did you survive? As for warranty, 2007 GM's have a 4-year/80K bumper to bumper, as opposed to Toyota's 3-year/60K.

"80 Knight" ...

Ah, there he is...
Hey 80.
:-)