Toyota versus Chevy

News flash: Toyota may eclipse Chevy as the best-selling *brand* in America today. The latest sales figures come out today.

This has never happened before. Toyota may beat Chevy for the first time ever, as the best-selling Brand in America.

Today "Mom, Chevrolet, and apple pie" may become "Mom, Toyota, and apple pie" for the first time ever.

Reply to
Built_Well

Wanna see how tough Toyota's are, if you scroll down you will see a Tacoma.

dbu`

========

I love Chevy (that's what my dad mostly bought), but you gotta hand it to Toyota. They've done a yeoman's job.

The GM and Toyota figures will all be released at about

1:30 PM Eastern today--65 minutes away..
Reply to
Built_Well

Well, my Pontiac dealer wants $400 to replace my radio as the solution to a burnt display lamp ($0.20 part) on my 2005 Montana.

I'll be buy> News flash: Toyota may eclipse Chevy as the best-selling *brand* in

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

My Trooper II has backlight bulbs which are burned out. I tore into the radio thinking it will be a peice of cake. I never did find the bulbs. I suspect they are part of the display tube.

Reply to
dbu`

News flash: You are a complete moron. You keep sending your money to the Japanese, I'm sure they are very grateful for it. But, when your job goes out of the country because of it, don't complain.

Reply to
80 Knight

My car-buying history:

83 Tercel - no problems 85 Corolla - no problems 87 Celica - power antenna rusted/seized 93 Caravan - lots of A/C problems. Compressor and engine computer failed 98 Windstar - no problems 01 Montana - transmission blew up @ 16,000 km, needed new head gasket 05 Montana - multiple problems with radio

While the Ford was problem-free, the other big 3 all had major problems. Not so with my Toyotas.

If you want to save jobs in Detroit, stand behind what you build for at least 100,000 km, not the crappy 60,000 basic warranty.

80 Knight wrote:
Reply to
Pat Coghlan

Well the last 3 GM's I had were all built outside of America. Not sure how buying them saved any American jobs.

I say buy the best product....whatever that product is. You shouldn't subsidize incompetence. It's funny, I always said that Toyota was just like GM (bland, mostly boring vehicles), but reliable. It's proving true to the market. I still wouldn't buy either one because of the looks.

Brent

On Sep 4, 2:50 pm, Brent wrote:

LOL.. My 05 corolla was built in California... Most of the profit probably went back to Japan, but they paid workers, etc, so it's not totally bad.. We've had U.S cars that were built in Canada... And it seems I've seen some that were built in Mexico, or at least a lot of the parts seemed to be.

Yep, thats about the way I see it.. I see good vehicles made by both sides.. But to get what I wanted, which was max mpg for a non complicated car, I had to go with either the corolla , or a civic. The american brands of that year range didn't quite do as well in general. They seem to have killed off some of the models I might have considered for heavier cars. The corolla gets a solid 41 mpg on the highway if I do 65, and thats with the automatic. Not many U.S cars would do that, if any that I can think of. I just drove over 900 miles just this past weekend, as I went up to my place in OK for the weekend. Being as I go up there a lot, it saves me a load of $$$ for gas. I check that mpg every time I go to OK.. It's the same every time. And for some reason, Oklahoma is getting bent over for gas lately. I'm not sure what the deal is. In the past, as recently as Feb, March, the gas prices up there were appx the same as Houston, Dallas, etc.. Hardly ever more than 5-10 cents difference. But now... Gas in most stations at McAlester, Eufaula, etc were running 2.99 a gallon this past weekend. Cross over into TX, and it drops 30 cents right off the bat. Dallas and Houston both right now average 2.54-2.55 a gallon at many places. I've even seen it at cheap stations in the 2.40's range. Needless to say, I don't buy gas in OK lately.. I wait till I get back to TX.. And it's easy to do getting 40+ mpg.. Those people up in OK are getting bent over, and I can't see any real reason for it. Seems to be a recent change too. I wonder if most there even realize they are getting the hook..? Maybe you don't notice if you never go anywhere else.. As far as chevies, we had a 02 Impala for a while. It was a pretty good car. But.. It didn't get no 40 mpg.. More like 25-27. BTW, I've put almost 11k on the corolla since March, and no problems so far.. Rap on wood...It now has about 35k total. I did have a Evap problem, but that was cuz I overfilled the gas tank and flooded the canister. It dried up, and cleared the codes on it's own.. It's had enough run cycles by now, it should be totally clean as far as the OBD2 puter.. Anyway, as you can see, mpg is a big issue to me lately.. The less I have to give to the oil companies, the better. :/ MK

Reply to
nm5k

The Corolla is no longer made at the GM/Toyota plant in California, it is made in Canada where Toyota can build if with more parts made overseas in a non union plant.

The California plants union contract requires 70% of the parts and the materials they are made of to be American, not north American but American. That plant now makes the small Toyota truck and the Pontiac Vibe. The Vibes Toyota twin, the Matrix, is also made in Canada more cheaply than the Vibe, but the Matrix will cost you more to buy when similarly equipped the same as the Vibe. Go figure

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Wow. I am impressed. You owned 2 Toyota's with absolutely no problems. Was the car touched by God? Then, you have one GM that had a bad transmission and head gasket at 16,000K. That was covered under the warranty, yes? Oh, and your second GM had multiple radio problems. Wow, how did you survive? As for warranty, 2007 GM's have a 4-year/80K bumper to bumper, as opposed to Toyota's 3-year/60K.

Reply to
80 Knight

"80 Knight" ...

Ah, there he is...

Hey 80.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I heard just the other day that one of the Big Three will no longer pour blocks here in Amerika. All their engine production will be in China.

Be careful who you indict.

Reply to
hls

I doubt seriously that they're going to send offshore the 10,000 jobs currently at TMMK in Georgetown, KY.

They make a very nice bunch of products there.

Reply to
mack

========

Well, if you're right, then the commentators on the CNBC business channel were wrong last night. They said the Chevy brand still outsells the Toyota brand in the U.S., but just barely.

When we, instead, talk about Toyota overtaking GM, we're usually talking about world-wide sales, not U.S. alone.

Reply to
Built_Well

================

In the U.S., Toyota is about to claim the Number 2 spot, overtaking Ford. Toyota is already Number 2 when considering overall /world-wide/ sales.

Reply to
Built_Well

....So I still believe the CNBC business commentators when they say Chevy still outsells Toyota in the U.S. Sorry, Mike :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

Hey Natalie! You don't have to say it. I did it again. This "Built_Well" came into the GM group, attempting to bait people, and he got me. I do usually try and trim the headers in my post's, as I don't like posting (or cross-posting) to groups I don't participate in, but I neglected to do so this time. Anywho, how is everyone in your neck of the woods?

Reply to
80 Knight

"80 Knight" ...

Other than a bunch of now-that-you're-middle-aged-we'll-strip-you-of-any-dignity tests lately, pretty much the same.

My son got promoted to the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy (no, he doesn't drive the VWs, as those are the "Double Agents"

You?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You have always had a way with words! Don't worry though. Your dignity will always be present here. :)

Congratulations to your son! I used to work for Best Buy's other electronics store Future Shop. The job was alright, and the discounts were incredible.

Nothing much new here. Waiting for the first frost to get here so that damned ragweed goes away! Allergies are a pain. Other then that, the oldest started high school today, and wow am I worried. She's a good kid, but I remember what those 14-year old boys were like when I was in high school, and its an awful lot worse now. But, like I said, she's a good kid, with a good head on her shoulders...and she knows to tell the boys that I am much bigger then they are ;-)

Glad to hear from you Natalie. And, I'll try and behave myself. :)

Reply to
80 Knight