Toyota versus Chevy

Page 3 of 4
C. E. White wrote:

I am old school I guess, I like shifting my own gears. Add to that better acceleration, more control of the car, and better gas mileage and it's a no brainer for me. My car with auto gets something like 4 MPG less than the manual. That adds up.

LOL, some of us like sports sedans!! I like having 4 doors and large interior for my daughter, but I like being able to toss a car around a bit and get in a 0-60 run here or there (when alone). Keeps me young ;-)
Tampa traffic doesn't allow much of anything else.

I know the older 60's chevy "sports sedans" sure looked a heck of a lot better than the regular sedans. They were kinda rare in comparison to the regular ones. The whole roof, side windows, etc are different on the sport sedans.. Roll all the windows down, and no pillars.. The regular sedan had the semi ugly pillars, and a more rounded back window and roof line. The sport sedans back window came to a sharper point, almost like a psuedo convertable or something. BTW, that impala we had an an automatic, but trust me, if you drove it, you would consider it a "sport sedan" just by the shear brute horsepower you could plant to the wheels. You could floor that thing and burn rubber all the way down the street, with enough torque to get the car squirrely and sideways if you didn't keep on top of things. . And I'm not talking about holding the brakes on like these new modern weenies and ricers do.. It makes me cringe to see someone burn rubber by holding the brakes on.. :( Silly it is... You should have seen how that old La Sabre coupe used to act when you floored it's 455 from a standstill.. That was an adventure.. You could get that car sideways and wrapped around a tree if you were not careful.. One of my brothers later did that to that car.. :( That engine was removed and is now rebuilt and in a 73 pontiac lemans a friend of mine has. That car will fly. MK

C.E., I take back what I said on the previous reply. You are the MAN!!!!

When did Toyota start making "Max"'s

Coachrose's award gives the 3.8 engine its anual award based on many years service from several cars with no problems whatsoever.
No other

My GTP will not approach 14.3 quarters, but for some reason has dusted every Max it has raced.

Didnt but the 06 because I considered it to be sport. Thought it would be a nice car to haul my grand-kids around, and maybe a little fun to drive around, to boot.

on Thursday 06 September 2007 10:57 pm, someone posing as snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com took a rock and etched into the cave:

They bought Nissan. Didn't you know. :P

I used to have the 3.0 VQ30DE on my Max. That was a pretty good vehicle for a front-wheel-drive car.
A bit on the small side and had an annoying torque steer when I punched it, but overall pretty good.
--
www.perfectreign.com

OK, I owned a '00 Nissan Maxima SE with the VQ engine and 5 speed. It was a big car inside, I will give it that, and well made interior, but I disagree on the attractiveness of the VQ engine. It does not start as well as it could, frequently it took 2 long tries to get it running if it sat for a few days. The engine has neary ZERO torque on the bottom end, as someone else said, its very peaky. I have driven manual transmissions since the 70's and I never stalled an engine as many times as I did with that car, and my wife, who also learned on tractors and old manual cars (never had an auto until 2001) she also had the same feedback. In traffic, pulling away from lights, the car was pretty slow - if I was not revving it up, I'd be being passed by old ladies in Buicks. When folks were trying to get in front of you in traffic situations, if you were going along at 2200 rpm (which is very typical) the engine is FLAT and has very little power. If you revved it up all the time, wringing the snot out of it like a sport bike motorcycle engine (which I have owned and ridden BTW) it had some power above 4k RPM's. Trying to launch the car resulted in tire spin especially in wet. Driving it like that also kills fuel milage, we never got much over 22-24 mpg and lows would be in teens. And premium fuel. And the engine compartment looked like it was attacked with speghetti of hoses and lines and crap. But it was smooth, I will give it that. The maxima also had crappy rear suspension that would bottom out with two people in the car and rode poorly, even the reviewers that loved the car said that much (was changed later years).
Although I loved manual transmissions in the past compared to the older slushbox automatics, after dealing with this car, we took advantage the Nissan's high resale value and sold it. I got a used Intrigue GLS on ebay with the DOHC 3.5 shortstar V6 (215 hp to the '00 VQ's 222) but the thing is velvet smooth, has gobs of torque, revs willingly to redline (more so than the 3.8 GM motors do) and a super smooth and superb shifting automatic. It also runs on regular fuel, and if you don't use the AC and stick to 65-70 I have gotten 33 and 32 MPG on consectutive gas tanks driving back from buying the car on a long trip. It doesn't handle as well but has better rear suspension design, has stability control, heated seats, bose stereo, etc - although there are a few typical GM rough spots, its a bargin car for us and we love it over the Maxima for our purposes.
scott wrote:

I had those models for rentals a couple of times and didn't care for the 3.0 VQ either. It didn't have much punch to it.
The 3.5 is better, 255hp/245tq, flatter torque curve, nice power from idle to 3500 rpm's, then the variable valve timing kicks in and it howls to 6700 rpm's. You don't need to have it above 3500 for the torque though, so it's not bad to drive around easy. I have the same motor in my G35 and it feels _very_ torquey matched up to Infiniti's 5 speed auto.
I'm glad you have a car that you enjoy more than the old Max now....to each his own my friend.
On Sep 5, 1:18 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

At 75, the corolla probably does about 36-37 mpg or so.. At 70, about 38-39.. But I usually can't drive that fast legally, and I don't speed as I can't afford tickets. The 65 mph was the speed limit at night for TX interstates. And the cops were like hovering flies this past weekend.... :( The only highway I could legally do 75 on is the OK turnpike, but I don't take that route normally.. I did once though when I had to look at some other property down in East TX. I did 75, and got about 36-37 mpg I guess. I didn't watch it real close that time.

Time can be money for some.. For me, I'm just going to my playland, so I'm in no big rush..

So will mine though.. I can go much faster than 75 if I wanted to.. Course, the mpg will drop... But... So will yours..

Maybe.. I've never really seen one...

Nope, exactly the same.. I drive all cars exactly the same.. If I had a corvette, I would still drive 65 at night in I-45... Like I say, I don't need the highway patrol delaying my trip and taking my money.. :/

Yep, it was a V6.. It was a "sporty version" Impala with the spoiler on the trunk, etc, but nothing special as far as the engine. I never drove the Impala faster than 70... Can't where I drive, unless you want tickets.. But even if it did 30 mpg, which is fairly good for a mid size car, it's still not what I wanted.. I like the extra 10 mpg... But on the highway at 70, the impala used to read right at 27 mpg on the little overhead computer up on the ceiling. I never saw it get any higher. The actual measurements came out about the same. Myself, it doesn't matter to me.. I'm not a GM basher or anything. I've had several of them. I ran a monte carlo for 12 years and never had any trouble. But you have to consider another thing... How much did you pay for your cars? I paid 9200.00 + tax for the corolla. Wouldn't surprise me if you paid a good bit more than that. I may not have the room, looks, etc that you do, but I probably didn't pay as much either. My car was cheap enough I was able to pay cash.. It was paid for when I drove it home. Thats a good feeling... :) MK
snipped-for-privacy@wt.net wrote:

======= I remember reading that the best year ever for the Impala was 1965. In that year, roughly one million units were sold in the United States--a U.S. record that has stood since.
I don't recall the exact figure--may have been 900,000-plus. Do you think the Camry will ever reach a million like the 1965 Impala? It's possible. Last year, roughly 500,000 Camrys were sold (478,000 or so).
My dad owned 2 Impalas in the 1970's, both V8's. They were beasts back then.

My dad bought a brand new 1965 impala off the showroom floor. It was a 4 door "Sport Sedan" with the pillarless side windows, and a different slightly sportier roofline than the standard impala, which had a more rounded back window look, and had side pillars. It had the brand new 396 engine. It was a nice car, and would run like a scalded house cat. Back then, all the gas stations were full serve, and most checked the oil, etc every time. All the gas jockeys would ogle that 396.. They were used to the usual 327's, etc..
Anyway, that car ended up being my first car when I started driving. And I often made use of it's scalded house cat personality. :) At high speeds, it was like driving a mild stock car, and it sounded like one too. It didn't even get kicked into gear until you were over 100 mph, and then it got a 2nd wind and started sounding like a race car. :) The only other car I had that was faster was a 1970 LaSabre with a 455. That 455 was an awesome engine. Best V8 in the west as far as I'm concerned. I remember one time right after we got the 65 Impala.. We were traveling from AR to OK one time, and a fairly new 64 ford Galaxy with a 390 pulled along side and wanted to make a run... "They would see the 396 flag emblem on the front fender" Well, my dad took him up on it, and started pressing the pedal down. We ran maybe for a mile or so, and pretty much smoked that ford.. It gave it a good run, but just couldn't hang with that 396 when it came to the higher rev ranges.

Dunno, there are so many brands and models now, it may be spread out too much..

We had a few others.. I know I had a 68 with a 327 at one time.. We had a lot of monte carlos through the years.. A 72, 75, 77, 81.. Also a regal and a cutless of the same style too.. I liked the regal with the 231 V6.. Pretty good driving car when it was new. It was a 78 or 79 I think.. We also had 61, 62, 63 chevies, but they were biscaynes I think and the 63 was a bel air.. Back then they were easiliy spottable as only the impalas had three tailights per side, vs the biscayne and bel air's two. Back then, cars made more of a change every year than they do now.. IE: a 2003 -2007 corolla is about the same thing.. Don't look much different at all. Wasn't that way back then, and the usual Sept-Oct new car debut was always a big deal to see what was different. Now.. yawn... :/ MK
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 17:58:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@wt.net wrote:

The Chevelle SS 396 was pretty awesome...

--
Scott in Florida

About all I can say for the United States Senate
snipped-for-privacy@wt.net wrote:

====================== Great Story!

"Back then," the year to year changes were mostly sheet metal changes, the stuff underneath hardly changed at all.
Ed
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:14:22 -0400, "C. E. White"

"Back Then" people could afford to buy a new car every couple of years.
Now, with new cars in the $20K > $30K range, people are shopping for reliability, and durability.
<rj>
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:28:32 -0500, Built_Well

A Navy buddy of mine was one of the million. He bought one in 1965. Nice car.
--
Scott in Florida

About all I can say for the United States Senate
Don't you mean "My two Moms, Toyota, and apple pie from China" The county is going to hell and American consumers do not seem to care that they are sending their children's and grand children's job off shore LOL
mike

I doubt seriously that they're going to send offshore the 10,000 jobs currently at TMMK in Georgetown, KY.
They make a very nice bunch of products there.
Really? Toyota already sent the Corolla outside of the US. It is cheaper to assemble the car of imported and Canadian parts in Canada than to assemble it in the US of US parts. I doubt the price a Corolla has gone down however LOL
mike

Toyotas are like illegal immigrants, as soon as they become established and get a foot hold the quality slips just like now Toyota and Nissan have a recall on some of there engines. When illegal immigrants become citizens their wages for working goes up to the level of any other US citizen. Why do you think businesses like illegal labor so much? Because its cheap until they become legal. Being Illegal in the U.S pays...if you own a business, thats why the US government just loves it all the while acting like there hands are tied.

It is reassuring that they will, at least, recall their mistakes and try to fix them.
GM has a long history of making serious mistakes (or planned ones?) in their engines, and dodging the responsibility. Maybe GM can learn from them.