Toyota versus Chevy

Any links for this? I have always exactly what the problems were.

Thanks.

Reply to
BlueBuyYoo

I dont know if there is a single link to these engine failures. They are widely discussed and go back for several years. I'll try to do a few from memory, so cut me a little slack. You can find details on any of them on the internet.

Some have said the aluminum Corvair engine is a loser. I have seen many of them become problematic, but it is -thank goodness- essentially gone from the scene.

If you go way back into history, the aluminum silicone block was a bad one. But that is back in the 70's I guess. I think this engine went into the Nova or Chevy II or such.

The Iron Duke four cylinder series had tendencies to crack into the water jacket over the lifter gallery. I had an 84 Fiero with this engine, and GM lied to me and said my block was not involved. It was. As I searched through the junkyards for a usable core, I found that four out of five of them, at least, were cracked.

The Quad Four also had problems. I believe this had to do with the heads. Maybe someone more familiar with them than I can elucidate.

The 3.4 twin cam was an interesting engine, but tended to self destruct. An absolute POS.

The 2.8-3.4 series tended to have gasket problems and leakages were common. There were also some crankshaft strength complaints.

The 3.8 series II has the self destructing plastic plenum problem. This was an expensive failure that GM certainly knew about but did nothing to fix. I think that all of them can be expected to fail, many out of warranty. It is fixable, but does not inspire confidence in the General.

The 3.8 V6, outside the Series II, was probably one of the best engines GM ever built, and pardons some of their sins.

Reply to
HLS

Right. Wasn't this the engine that was in the Chevy Vega and Pontiac Astra? God, those were absolute trash.

I had a 1986 Citation with the 2.8L V6 that was actually very reliable. Never had a problem during the 8 years I owned it.

Thanks.

Reply to
BlueBuyYoo

I also had a 2.8 l in a Buick Regal. I never had a problem with the engine (Everything else! but not the engine ;>) So while these issues didnt happen to me, I understand that there were weak spots in these engines too.

Reply to
HLS

This is overstating the case for Toyota. Toyota is the most secretive large automaker (well maybe the Chinese are worse). Their usual tactic is to first deny there is a problem. When it is obvious there is a problem, they try to shift blame to either the Customer or a supplier. Finally, when faced with the likelihood of a forced recall, they will issue a voluntary recall to stave off the NHTSA. In the past Toyota was able to fly under the radar on defects because they were a minor player in the US with the volume spread across a wide range of models. No single defect affected enough vehicles to attract the attention of NHTSA or the press. Now that they sell a large number of vehicles, it is much harder for Toyota to hide defects. You should go to the NHTSA web site and read the documents related to recent ball joint recalls. Lying, finger pointing , denials, etc.......

I hope not. GM. GM is not great, but they are far better at acknowledging defects than Toyota.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Likewise, I had a 2.8L in an '87 Chevy S-10. I plowed snow in central NY with that truck for 9 years with absolutely no engine problems. Actually - with no real problems with the truck at all. I always found that 2.8L engine to be quite a good engine for its class. I finally wrecked the truck at over 200,000 miles or I would have driven it for a few more years. That truck worked! We get close to 300 inches of snow per season around here, and life for a plow truck is anything but easy.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yep, as soon as Bush and McCain make illegals legal they won't any longer want those Lettuce picking jobs. So employers may as well hire Americans now at fair wages instead of cheap illegal aliens. I would rather pay more lettuce than to be over run with illegals. If the lettuce is too high I will do with out.

Reply to
Walker Speid