writes

From what I've been able to gather about the IQS and VDS surveys, it's a 44 point questionaire with specific questions about stuff like handling, braking, seats, audio systems etc. It's better than just asking which areas did you have a "problem" with and asking the user to check a single box.
Good example. Checking the box that asks yes or no, if you had a Transmission Problem can be anything from minor adjustment to the linkage, to a total failure on the CR survey and they do not quantify their replies.
writes

Clive

writes

Sorry, I don't. They seem to be the equivalent of Consumer Reports here in the US, but I wasn't able to quickly locate any methodology info on the net.
Derek

why would merc be above ford?
The same reason Lexus is rated higher than Toyota. ;)

why would merc be above ford?

People pay more for the Mercury so they think it is a better car and report accordingly. Note that Lincoln is even higher.
If you look at the Zephyr, Milan, and Fusion, they all share a lot of components, including the people and machines that assemble them. I don't doubt the statistics as gathered by CR or J D Powers, but I do doubt the honesty of the people sending back those questionnaires. Sending back a poor report is saying "I made a poor choice in my selection of automobile"

You forgot Russian and Indian. They are still below American - even though Russia is really part of Europe.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

be OK in fact we've been getting Indian cars since Rover (now demised) used to import their City Rover for 3000UKP then sell it for 6000UKP. Russian cars were imported in the shape of Lada, until our emissions regulations changed in 92, and as they couldn't get the Platinum or Palladium for the catalytic converters, they where no longer allowed to be imported.
--
Clive

(which was not Russian, but was eastern block))
We don't get anything Indian. Yet.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

made for the eastern European market.
--
Clive

after the R12 went out of production with just enough changes that most parts ( at least those we checked) didn't fit our 1972 R12 Rallye car.
You personal opinion does not jive with the fact the top selling vehicle in the world is a Ford and has been for 32 years and the fact that GM sells more vehicles in the US than any other manufacturer and both GM and Ford out sell all of the Jap, Korean, and European manufactures with the lone exception of Toyota?
wrote in message

No longer true Mike, as usual you are wrong again. Ford now outsells GM... I told you it would happen, you just refuse to listen to common sense. My next prediction is GM will be #3 in monthly sales by the end of 2010.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/02/ford-outsells-gm-toyota-in-february-sales /
Ford smoked GM as they have better products and didn't use the government to saddle GM debt on taxpayers. They are now being rewarded for the wise move.
On 20/03/2010 12:55 PM, Mike Hunter wrote:

--
--------------
Politicians don't provide anything, the tax payers do.
wrote in message

So how does it feel to be wrong again? And again?
Are you sure you didn't work for GM? You would fit in.
GM, #2 and falling, even with all the taxpayer-debt funded moneys.
On 21/03/2010 10:17 AM, Mike Hunter wrote:

--
Politicians don't provide anything, the tax payers do.

Utter nonsense.