Trans Oil Change

How often does the tranny oil have to be changed in a Chevy van? I hear some mechanics are saying 15k miles. That doesn't sound right....?

sandlot wrote:

mechanics.
What does the owners manual say?
My Jewish Lawyer changed his on his 92 Corolla every 25,000 miles. His trans died at 253,000 miles in 2001.
I changed mine every 50,000 and mine begun slipping at 192,000 miles in 2001.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,040 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

In my 84 C-10 with 300K+ miles I change mine every 10,000 to 15,000. They more heavy or sever useage a vehical sees, the more PM it needs.
In racing vehicals I go about every month, or every really hard event. Even with high dollar transmission fluid. Charles I need to contact B&M about getting a 55 gallion drum of Trick Shift. Using blue transmission fluid alone is enough to make most people do a double take.
Replace every 100k unless towing.

I have never changed transmition fluid , the car retired after 17 years and 350000 km.
Chuck
Smuga wrote:

We know........and there are also people that live to be over 100 years old and they smoked and drank alchohol all their lives. So what?
Ian
I don't believe in changing transmition fluid sooner than 100000 km. , and that's what most car manuals recommends ( GM Olds.160000 km.) If you want make your mechanic and oil companies happy than change it every 15000 miles , like the guy from the top of the post asked.
Chuck

Read it more carefully: 100000mls for light duty-cycle (a dozen people around the America) and 50000mls for heavy duty-cycle (the rest).

My Bonneville at a little over 30000mls had a brownish fluid. I flushed it ASAP. Did I make the mechanic and the fluid maker happy or would I make GM happy otherwise? Neither, I made ME happy.
Yet, I have to wonder why. My Intrigue has over 50000mls and the fluid is still pinkish, although as I bought it used, it may be new (15000mls).