Trans Oil Change

How often does the tranny oil have to be changed in a Chevy van? I hear some mechanics are saying 15k miles. That doesn't sound right....?

Reply to
sandlot

What does your owners manual suggest? Often quite different than the mechanics.

Reply to
HRL

What does the owners manual say?

My Jewish Lawyer changed his on his 92 Corolla every 25,000 miles. His trans died at 253,000 miles in 2001.

I changed mine every 50,000 and mine begun slipping at 192,000 miles in

2001.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,040 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

In my 84 C-10 with 300K+ miles I change mine every 10,000 to 15,000. They more heavy or sever useage a vehical sees, the more PM it needs.

In racing vehicals I go about every month, or every really hard event. Even with high dollar transmission fluid. Charles I need to contact B&M about getting a 55 gallion drum of Trick Shift. Using blue transmission fluid alone is enough to make most people do a double take.

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Replace every 100k unless towing.

Reply to
Tj

I have never changed transmition fluid , the car retired after 17 years and

350000 km.

Chuck

Reply to
Smuga

We know........and there are also people that live to be over 100 years old and they smoked and drank alchohol all their lives. So what?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I don't believe in changing transmition fluid sooner than 100000 km. , and that's what most car manuals recommends ( GM Olds.160000 km.) If you want make your mechanic and oil companies happy than change it every

15000 miles , like the guy from the top of the post asked.

Chuck

Reply to
Smuga

Read it more carefully: 100000mls for light duty-cycle (a dozen people around the America) and 50000mls for heavy duty-cycle (the rest).

My Bonneville at a little over 30000mls had a brownish fluid. I flushed it ASAP. Did I make the mechanic and the fluid maker happy or would I make GM happy otherwise? Neither, I made ME happy.

Yet, I have to wonder why. My Intrigue has over 50000mls and the fluid is still pinkish, although as I bought it used, it may be new (15000mls).

Reply to
Neo