Transmission code

I am looking for a transmission for my 96 LaSabe Limited. It is a 4T60E. I have looked around and am being asked with the ratio is. I have no idea
where to find that.
One yard told me to look on the spare tire cover in the truck it will show a F17, or FW2. Can anyone translate those numbers to the ratio? Don't have the money for a rebuild so I must go the used route.
TIA

You don't need the ratio - what you need is exactly what that yard told you. You need the code from the tag. Just go look for the F17 or the FW2 and inform the salvage yard of that.
For what it's worth, F17 is a 2.84:1 ratio, and FW2 is 3.06:1.
You can do a google search for RPO codes and you'll find a wealth of information about the tag.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

a good tranny guy will be able to swap the axle out of your existing tranny and put it back in the new tranny.. I have seen this done tons of times..

Now I wonder what difference it would make if I put in the wrong ratio.

Depending on which way you went, either better or worse gas mileage, either better or worse acceleration - all the standard stuff that goes with changing ratios.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I have the F17 at 2.84:1 ratio.

Damage to your tranny if you use the wrong ratio.. Been there done it..

the infinitely great, so that we lose ourselves in them and no longer see virtues. We find fault with perfection itself.
358. Man is neither angel nor brute, and the unfortunate thing is that he who would act the angel acts the brute.
359. We do not sustain ourselves in virtue by our own strength, but by the balancing of two opposed vices, just as we remain upright amidst two contrary gales. Remove one of the vices, and we fall into the other.
360. What the Stoics propose is so difficult and foolish!
The Stoics lay down that all those who are not at the high degree of wisdom are equally foolish and vicious, as those who are two inches under water.
361. The sovereign good. Dispute about the sovereign good.--Ut sis contentus temetipso et ex te nascentibus bonis.48 There is a contradiction, for in the end they advise suicide. Oh! What a happy life, from which we are to free ourselves as from the plague!
362. Ex senatus-consultis et plebiscitis...
To ask like passages.
363. Ex senatus-consultis et plebiscitis scelera exercentur. Seneca. 588.[49]
Nihil tam absurde dici potest quod non dicatur ab aliquo philosophorum.50
Quibusdam destinatis sententiis consecrati quae non probant coguntur defendere.51
Ut omnium rerum sic litterarum quoque intemperantia laboramus.52
Id maxime quemque decet, quod est cujusque suum maxime.53
Hos natura modos primum dedit.54
Paucis opus est litteris ad bonam mentem.55
Si quando turpe non sit, tamen non est non turpe quum id a multitudine laudetur.56
Mihi sic usus est, tibi ut opus est facto, fac.57
364. Rarum est enim ut satis se quisque vereatur.58
Tot circa unum caput tumultuantes deos.59
Nihil turpius quam cognitioni assertionem praecurrere.60
Nec me pudet, ut